Mac Pro 2009 processor

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Dnix, May 16, 2011.

1. Dnix macrumors 6502

Is the W3565 currently still the best-priced upgrade for the "Nehalem" 09 models?

Thanks.

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

It will depend on your needs, and what deals you may be able to find.

As it happens, there's a way to flash the 2009's firmware in order to make it a 2010, which will allow you to run a Hex core (B1 stepped parts). Take a look here (netkas.org). There's also a thread on it here in MR as well (here).

Could open up an option for you. ;)

3. The-Pro, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

The-Pro macrumors 65816

people have reported that they fried their logic board because they installed the wrong cpus. Apple used special one without an integrated heat spreader i think, apparently they are hard to find!!??

4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

AFAIK there is one report on anandtech (at least I haven't seen more). The logic board of the author (it was Anand himself I guess) got physically damaged because he applied too much pressure on the heatsink.

However, the chips without heatspreaders were used only for the DP systems. The SP system uses standard XEON CPUs.
    Upgrading the DP systems with heatspreader equipped CPUs is a little bit more difficult, but not impossible. There are various threads where people have successfully upgraded theirs. Some washers and additional thermal pads are all that is needed.

5. Dnix thread starter macrumors 6502

Sounds risky, but I'll take a look. :eek:

Yes, I saw an article (Anandtech?) where they destroyed a Mac Pro. Wasn't the heat spreader thing more a concern for the Octo-cores? I could be wrong.

(I have a Quad)

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

Given the CPU you've listed, I've presumed you have a Single Processor model (W35xx/36xx after the flash) won't work in the Dual Processor models (and you've confirmed it's an SP model in your response).

As per the Flash method, it works. You would have issues running the Apple Hardware Diagnostics or Apple Service Diagnostic (if you can locate a copy), but if you really need to run these, you can flash the system back to the original 2009 firmware.

This has no bearing on the OP, as the SP models do use the latch mechanism, and the OEM CPU's had an IHS on it. So it's just a simple swap. The "hard part" may be finding a torx screwdriver long enough to reach the screws, as a 4" shank isn't long enough (most common length for the size).

2009 DP system owners just need to be really careful when performing a CPU swap, as they can shift about without the lid mechanism, particularly when the cooler isn't tightened down properly (can't just turn one screw until it stops - do a half turn on each screw in a boxed X pattern).

7. Dnix thread starter macrumors 6502

OK well, the Hex Cores are little more than I'm looking to spend (~300). But this is good news for the future. Unless you think they'll drop in price soon, now that the newer sockets are released?

In which case, I'll chill for a little. But if not, I think I'll grab me one of them W3565. :)

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

Xeons don't typically fall like consumer grade CPU's do. If you're interested, keep an eye out on eBay or other sources for used components, and snag one if you see an irrestable price. ;) As per how long you could manage to do this, that's up to your immediate needs.

9. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

I can also confirm the firmware flash works. I did it in my SP 2009 last week.

I'll probably wait till next year to upgrade to a 3.2 or 3.47 hex core depending on prices.

If your looking to spend 300 now it might be worth saving up and buying the 3.2 hex. Ive seen it for under £600

10. wispy007 macrumors member

I dropped in the W3580 into my 2009 mac pro, runs like a dream. I paid $470 US for it. The upgraded performance was worth it. The W3565 will give you a nice increase as well.