Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kfoelsch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2013
I have a 30" monitor that is currently in the shop for repairs. I've gotten a loaner monitor, but it's saying the sync is too high. (It's 1600X1200).

I've tried zapping the PRAM / NVRAM, no go; same problem.

Then I unplugged the machine, pulled the battery, (had to pull the video card to get at it) and waited two minutes. Same problem.

From what I've read, the NVRam is supposed to store the monitor resolution, so resetting it would hypothetically clear the issue. I'm wondering if there's some other trick here I haven't found yet.

Any suggestions? Thanks very much.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I have a 30" monitor that is currently in the shop for repairs. I've gotten a loaner monitor, but it's saying the sync is too high. (It's 1600X1200).

I've tried zapping the PRAM / NVRAM, no go; same problem.

Then I unplugged the machine, pulled the battery, (had to pull the video card to get at it) and waited two minutes. Same problem.

From what I've read, the NVRam is supposed to store the monitor resolution, so resetting it would hypothetically clear the issue. I'm wondering if there's some other trick here I haven't found yet.

Any suggestions? Thanks very much.

The resolution is not set in PRAM/NVRAM AFAIK, backlight for instance is.
Try a safe boot by holding the Shift key while starting up, hold until Apple logo.
If that works set the resolution, then restart.

kfoelsch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2013
Shiftyness

Tried the shift key, thank you for the suggestion. The error I'm getting on the monitor is "signal out of range".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.