Mac Pro 2009 (single CPU) optical Superdrive clunks, drive dismounts

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by thermodynamic, Feb 14, 2010.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I did go out and buy a replacement drive (LG 24x) and, while it has yet to automatically dismount, also makes similar clunky noises.

It's only the top drive.

My Mac Pro has two optical drives and the bottom one is constantly silent.

I bought the Mac Pro with one drive but added the other. From day 1 I suspected a flaky drive, but I didn't expect the replacement to make the same noises. Though I'll admit the noises don't occur as often and they aren't as loud...

Is it normal for Mac Pros to periodically check for any discs in the drive?

Thx for your input!

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

That behaviour seems weird as I have never had it happen to me while spending long-hours holed up in my colleges Editing Suites. Thats across a Quad 2.66 original Mac Pro and a Octo 2.8 Mac Pro. Never been near a nehalem though, so it could just be an issue with the case design of that model. Also I havent noticed the Mac Pros checking for discs, neither have G4s and G5s Ive used/owend - so it seems slightly weird.

3. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Nope, the ODD bay is pretty much the same in all Pros.
    The issue seems to be with the CD drive.

4. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Hmm - Maybe the OP needs to get another drive xD - Could just be a stream of bad drives - which although unlikely could happen xD

5. Knara macrumors member

I have an iMac (9,1) that started doing this with my external FW burner after Snow Leopard was installed...