Mac Pro 2009 special firmware revision?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by BrotherJerome, Dec 2, 2015.

1. BrotherJerome macrumors newbie

BrotherJerome

I was thinking about hacking the firmware on my 2009 Mac Pro to the 2010 version. But I have a

refurbished model, and according to Ars: "some refurbished 2009 Mac Pros have a

special firmware revision that is not publicly available—if you have one of these machines,

you won't be able to revert back to stock."

Link - http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2...orm-a-2009-mac-pro-into-a-12-core-monster.ars

Can anyone confirm this? And if so, Is there any way to tell if I have this special firmware revision?

2. MacVidCards Suspended

3. BrotherJerome thread starter macrumors newbie

BrotherJerome

4. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

Latest Firmware available from support.apple.com - MP41.008.B07
    Latest Firmware installed on some refurbished Mac Pro 4,1 - MP41.008.B08

You will NOT be able to revert back. I have already tried on my Mac Pro 4,1 that had MP41.008.B08 installed and I'm unable to.

5. Macdctr macrumors regular

My Mac Pro 4,1 has a label that says Apple Certified Reconditioned (guessing this means refurbished) with serial number and had the MP41.008.B07 firmware. I went ahead and did the 5,1 firmware update without worrying about having to restore back to the original firmware. By the time I sell this desktop it probably won't be worth a lot of money anyway so I might as well enjoy the computer for what it is... ;)

6. BrotherJerome thread starter macrumors newbie

BrotherJerome

Thanks for the info. It looks like I have the MP41.008.B07 firmware.

7. Macdctr macrumors regular

If you're planning to keep your Mac Pro for a long time then it does not matter whether or not you update the firmware. I say do it and enjoy the benefits of upgrading your computer to faster memory and processor. Keep in mind that for the faster memory to take effect, you need a processor that will support the higher bus speed ;)

8. BrotherJerome thread starter macrumors newbie

BrotherJerome

Thanks. I'm still considering whether to do the whole firmware upgrade/faster RAM/faster processor route, or sell the
    computer. But at least I know I have the option to do so.

9. mattspace macrumors 6502

mattspace

If you haven't upgraded your 2009 CPUs (already have the faster RAM), is there any downside to updating the firmware? IIRC ElCapitan was incompatible with the firmware upgrade tool last I heard, so is it worth doing while you're still running Yosemite, even with the stock CPUs?

10. Macdctr macrumors regular

It's not that El Capitan is not compatible with the firmware upgrade tool. You have to disable SIP (System Integrity Protection) first then you should be able to do the firmware upgrade or you can simply dual boot into an older OS then do the firmware update and then boot back into El Capitan.

You can go to this link to see how to disable SIP... http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/05/disable-rootless-system-integrity-protection-mac-os-x/

11. mattspace macrumors 6502

mattspace

Ahh, so can you switch it back on afterwards, or do you need to leave it off?

12. Macdctr macrumors regular

13. mattspace macrumors 6502

mattspace

14. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

AFAIK, no. Unless you want to run some very old OSX (simply not supported), or have something like the Tempo SSD card (will cause the boot manager unusable).