Mac Pro 2009 upgrade (4.1 to 5.1) - Which Thermal Pad?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by polanskiman, Apr 12, 2016.

1. polanskiman macrumors member

polanskiman

Hello,

In the process of upgrading my mac pro. I'm looking to replace the pink thermal pads on the heatsinks which cover what I believe to be the voltage regulators. Anyone could point me to the proper thermal pads that I need?

I've also dissasembled the video card (HD 4870) which also needs the pads to be replaced as they are in pieces. Same question as above.

2. polanskiman thread starter macrumors member

polanskiman

3. polanskiman, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016

polanskiman thread starter macrumors member

polanskiman

Thank you. That seems ok for the Mac Pro but not for the HD 4870 which thermal pads seem slimmer. Also there seems to be 2 kinds of thermal pads on the HD 4870. The one on the RAM chips looks very much like the one on the Mac Pro heatsink but the one on the VRM modules looks like a putty or something alike. Anyone care to enlighten me?

[​IMG]

4. carpsafari Suspended

carpsafari

I think it only matters regarding how thick it is...I usually use the 2mm version, sometimmes even double (4.1 8creo upgrade), but its there in 1 mm too and more colors.

5. Sharky II, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017

Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

Bumping this thread as I have the same question - would this work OK on a 4,1 12-core CPU upgrade: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/akasa-5mm-thermal-gap-filler-pad-a00nn

It says: "Thermal conductivity of 1.2W/mK delivers good heat transfer"

Is that 'good' performance?

I usually avoid Maplins, but there's one nearby and it would be quicker than waiting for delivery.

At 5mm, it would replace the old thermal pads completely. I've got a dual socket board.

Cheers!

Ed

Edit: I just realised that it was only 3cm x 3cm... useless.

Can anyone recommend a good thermal pad available in the UK?