Mac Pro 2009 & Windows 7 (RC)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mac Husky, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Mac Husky macrumors regular

Did someone install the RC of Windows 7 on his mac pro and how does it work?! I do need Windows on my coming Mac Pro - but I will only need it until January 2010 due to another software I am dependent on.

I was thiniking about buying Windows XP Professional. But as Windows 7 RC-Version will be for free use until 2010 it would be an alternative.

What do you guys think?
    Any experiences so far?

2. Eldritch macrumors newbie

Works perfectly fine. The only snag I hit was with the bootcamp drivers that refused to install due to localization problems (had to install them one by one manually from the Leopard DVD) but if you're from the US then that's no problem.

3. Mac Husky thread starter macrumors regular

I am from Germany.

Is that a problem installing Windows 7 RC / Bootcamp drivers as you mentioned? Why?

How did you solve the problem in detail? Is the system asking / searching for the drivers one by one?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

5. Mac Husky thread starter macrumors regular

Did you install it on your main HDD where OS X and all the other apps are located or on a different one?
    I am planning a RAIDO of 3 HDDs and want to install Windows 7 RC on an extra drive.

Are there problems with any apps working under Windows XP and do not under Windows 7 RC?

6. Machinima macrumors newbie

There are no apps that run on XP that dont work on Windows 7 because Windows 7 contains a Windows XP emulator, so you dont have to even think about that issue

A lot of these questions can be answered by searching
    http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php

7. Mac Husky thread starter macrumors regular

Thx, Machinima. Sorry for not using the "search function" today.
    I hoped to get a quick advice, as I otherwise would have to order XP right now(!) with the Mac.

And I am glad it worked out. So I will try it with Windows 7 RC :)

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

9. Machinima macrumors newbie

You could try using your raid arrangment for storage, which is what i do, then adding a Solid State hard drive for your operating systems and applications, giving your computer a considerable speed boost, no bouncing icons on app launching etc, however this isnt really necessary with the Mac Pro, just a thought since you said you wanted to add another hard drive.

10. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

Everything I've done with it works.... so far. Now I just need a larger HD and partition for win 7, so I can run my big rendering apps on it for a test of speed

11. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Works fine here, Build 7068 currently and will jump to 7201 later.

12. Mac Husky thread starter macrumors regular

Good one. Thanks.
    No. I don´t want that, as I just do need Windows for a couple of months.
    I´m planning to install it on my fourth internal HDD, where the backup of the RAID is.
    Of course with another external backup of everything ;)

Everything sounds best. So I will go for it.

13. Eldritch macrumors newbie

Installing Win 7, as the others mention, works flawlessly but for me the bootcamp installation just stopped with an error message. I had to go to the bootcamp folder on the Leopard DVD and run all the 64-bit applications one by one. It was only after I'd done that, that I read that other people outside the US had the same problems and could possibly be fixed by setting all inputs (keyboard etc) to an american one (Not tested it myself though since I got it working).

Windows 7 itself never asked for anything, oddly enough, but it installed most things with its own drivers. It was mostly the keyboard extensions such as the button for opening the CD-tray etc that it didn't, understandable, install.

Overall I'm very satisfied with how easy it was to get Windows 7 running on the Mac Pro under bootcamp and the performance is stunning. Except the snags already mentioned, it pretty works out of the box.

14. Mac Husky thread starter macrumors regular

Thx, Eldritch!

Anyone else who had these problems with bootcamp so far?!
    Hope I will not :rolleyes:

15. Paus macrumors newbie

The only thing I'm highly irritated about is the inability of my wireless (new) apple keyboard to work in Windows.

I've tried countless solutions on the internet but none seem to work :\

Otherwise than that, I installed it on my Mac Pro 09 on another Harddrive where only Windows 7 is installed on. Works very smooth :)

16. Mac Husky thread starter macrumors regular

Thx, Paus!

The problem with the wireless keyboard does not seem to be especially related to Windows 7 at all.
    I´ve heard of it several times before from people using XP or Vista, also. That´s one reason why I avoided cordless.

17. Black107 macrumors regular

I just installed it tonight. Everything running smoothly. I have Windows installed on its own drive.

18. Mac Husky thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds good - thanks. Looking forward to test it on my own next week.