Mac Pro 2009 with 5 drives?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by highdefw, Aug 6, 2010.

1. highdefw macrumors 6502

Hey guys, Looking at getting an 8 core 2009 Mac Pro. I'm looking at this possible configuration:

-1x ssd (Mercury Extreme Pro?) in the optical drive sled as a boot drive
    -2x 1TB hdds on a raid 0 config (mainly for media involving Final Cut)
    -1x 2TB hdd for storing random files (movies, installers, music, etc...)
    -1x 1TB hdd for Time Machine

I already have a 2TB and 1TB hdd. Looking to order the ssd and two identical 1 TBs for the raid soon.

Are there any issues in a setup like this?

Thx

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Don't forget your 5.25 > 2.5 bracket for the SSD. Other than that, it's plug and play. SATA connections are provided to all 5 bays.

3. highdefw thread starter macrumors 6502

OWC seems to offer this 5.25 mount, but it says only for 2006-2008 Mac Pros. Anyone have a working solution for the optical drive? I prefer to have it stable even though it could technically just sit there...

4. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Mines sat there quite happily for months now! It's not like you move your Mac Pro frequently :p

5. strausd macrumors 68030

THat's not necessary with an SSD but if you prefer to have it, it won't harm anything.

6. Argon21 macrumors member

Hope you have also many large external drives to back up all this data...

7. highdefw thread starter macrumors 6502

What would you guys say to 2x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black drives? I heard they are reliable and fast. Anyone used these in a raid config before?

8. Argon21 macrumors member

You cannot use those in a RAID since they don't support TLER. You need to use the Western Digital RE4.

None of the Western Digital drives where model number ends in "FASS" support TLER, and TLER is absolutely required for use in any RAID array.

Do not use the Caviar Green, Blue, or Black in any RAID array or you will have random failures.

9. highdefw thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for sharing this. I was under the impression that just about any drive would work.

So I'm looking at the WD 1TB RE4 internals at $139. If anyone has a Mac Pro raid setup, please share what drives you used.

10. PenguinMac macrumors member

I think you can use the Caviar Blacks in a software RAID, i.e. setting up a RAID 0 array using OS X's Disk Utility. I plan to do that with two Caviar Black 2TB in my 2010 Mac Pro. Software RAID should cope with the temporary timeouts of consumer hard drives that cause hardware RAID to kick the drive out of the array after a short timeout.

11. highdefw thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you sure? Because I was planning to use the software provided in the Mac OS to set up my raid.

12. cp2222 macrumors member

Did anyone ever confirm this? Is it ok to use Desktop edition WD drives with a software RAID in mac os X 10.6.x ?

I would doubt there would be a performance difference either between the desktop and enterprise editions, but if anyone has any info on that also, it would be greatly appreciated!

13. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

You will be fine. I have two 640 WD blacks in a software raid for ~1.5 years. No problems. Just employ a back up method.