Original poster
May 24, 2009
Dual-processor systems

* 2.4GHz system: 1066MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM
* 2.66GHz and 2.93GHz systems: 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM

Single-processor systems

* 2.8GHz and 3.2GHz systems: 1066MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM
* 3.33GHz system: 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM
There are no 8GB 1333 MHz chips so the limit is 32 GB with such modules.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
That is SO wrong of Apple to do that. The bus should be 1333MHz no matter what processor configuration. Pretty shady if you ask me.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
There are no 8GB 1333 MHz chips so the limit is 32 GB with such modules.
You can buy 8GB 1333MHz modules that will work in the Mac Pro. I'm sure 3rd parties will start selling ones specifically for the Mac Pro them around the time shipping starts.

That is SO wrong of Apple to do that. The bus should be 1333MHz no matter what processor configuration. Pretty shady if you ask me.
The memory speeds that different processors can use is Intel's decision, nothing to do with Apple.

I wouldn't expect 1333MHz speeds to work when you install that 4th DIMM on a processor either as that is how it works as part of Intel's spec. Not that it can't be changed, and as Apple like things clean maybe it'll all run at that speed still if all slots are full.

Spacedust

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2009
I also read it will have only 3 PCI-EX slots, but then I found the same was written for Mac Pro 2009 which has 4 slots :)

Overall:

- the same case
- no BluRay
- no Lightpeak
- the same DVD burner (same speed)
- same motherboard with different EFI
- same cooling
- same PSU
- no 2,5" bays (SSD will be probably 3,5")
- no Firewire 1600
- no USB 3.0
- crappy glossy LED 27" display

I think non of the professional users (like music producers) will buy a monitor like this. I still love my ACD 23" :)

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I also read it will have only 3 PCI-EX slots, but then I found the same was written for Mac Pro 2009 which has 4 slots :)

Overall:

- the same case
- no BluRay
- no Lightpeak
- same cooling
- same PSU
- no Firewire 1600
- no USB 3.0

I think non of the professional users (like music producers) will buy a monitor like this. I still love my ACD 23" :)
Seriously, if you thought there was a chance you'd get Lightpeak... well that's just funny.

And tell me what about the glossy display causes problems for music production?

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Seriously, if you thought there was a chance you'd get Lightpeak... well that's just funny.

And tell me what about the glossy display causes problems for music production?
Didn't you hear? Glossy displays make you gain weight and reduce sexual performance.

Ravich

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Portland, OR
I'd feel the same way if I could afford to spend 1000$ on a display

Anyway, I am wondering... what is this thread about? Like, I'm not clear on what is being established.

Jaxdialation

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Really? It takes all my good manners to address your question instead of you.

The discussion is about memory - speeds, availability, how to populate the slots.

And of course like 90% of the threads in the MacPro area, there is the obligatory bitching about Apple's choices in technology.

Anyway, I am wondering... what is this thread about? Like, I'm not clear on what is being established.

CaoCao

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010

Overall:

- the same case
- no BluRay
- no Lightpeak
- same cooling
- same PSU
- no Firewire 1600
- no USB 3.0

Case is still nice looking though a black Apple logo would be cool
no chance of BluRay (for this refresh, though authoring would be cool)
Lightpeak will probably come next refresh (or the one after)
DVD burner is decent enough
Why would there be a different MoBo for die shrink?
Same TDP, same cooling
A PSU that could run 2 5970s would be awesome
why would you want 2.5" bays?
Lightpeak will make FW1600 worthless
USB 3.0 isn't in chipsets
ACD 27" seems awesome

Ravich

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Portland, OR
Really? It takes all my good manners to address your question instead of you.

The discussion is about memory - speeds, availability, how to populate the slots.

And of course like 90% of the threads in the MacPro area, there is the obligatory bitching about Apple's choices in technology.
Obviously this is about memory. I am confused because first post makes some comment about Mac Pros, and the next post says "that's just the RAM that Apple includes."

And I wasnt complaining. Put your temper on a damn leash.

xgman

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2007
I think the 3.33 for instance comes with stock 3GB ram. So I will order that and get 4 x 4GB from either transintl for around $568 or OWC for a bit more. I think trans should have this near the release date or so they say. That way I still have 2 more slots to expand to 24 later if needed. I'll just sell the stock ram for cheap afterward. Considering Apple is currently charging $1,665 for a 16 GB upgrade to the 2009 base model also with 3GB stock, this sounds like a good $1000 savings to me right off the top.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
I think the 3.33 for instance comes with stock 3GB ram. So I will order that and get 4 x 4GB from either transintl for around $568 or OWC for a bit more. I think trans should have this near the release date or so they say. That way I still have 2 more slots to expand to 24 later if needed. I'll just sell the stock ram for cheap afterward. Considering Apple is currently charging $1,665 for a 16 GB upgrade to the 2009 base model also with 3GB stock, this sounds like a good $1000 savings to me right off the top.
The quad Mac Pro only has 4 memory slots.

RubbishBBspeed

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009

Overall:

- the same case
- no BluRay
- no Lightpeak
- same cooling
- same PSU
- no Firewire 1600
- no USB 3.0

This is why I'm hoping / trusting in Apple that the update is a short-term measure and that there will be more coming in say six to nine months.

keewe

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2010
I'm going for the single 3.33 hex which I think has 6 slots.
wouldnt count on that. why do you think so? apple is going with 4 slots in single CPU systems. i mean... it would be great because i'm gonna order the hexacore on monday too but i dont think its gonna happen:/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.