MAC PRO 2010 4core 2.8: I need HD and ram.. help me

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ZILA, Nov 1, 2010.

1. ZILA macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. I'm Italian and I apologize for English is not perfect. This is my first post on this forum.
    A few days ago I received the new Mac Pro quad core 2.8 mid 2010. Base model.
    Now I have to upgrade and would like some advice so as to avoid mistakes.
    My old computer is the imac 24 white.Fantastic!! But now is obsolet for my work.
    I am a photographer, computer use is mostly for photo editing and archiving. Then some work with graphics, video editing and web browsing. Using the entire suite of Adobe.

We come to do the changes:

1 - internal HD. I would add internal hd to mac pro. HD silent, cool and above all safe. Main HD is reserved for various system and boot. I need a hd to store processed photos. Another hd to store the original photos. Another hd for documents, and one for my video. I store music on an external HD so I can move. I must also establish a system of simple backup and secure. I would like to dedicate a hd time machine that I have never used and I think is valid.
    Hd Western Digital Caviar Green 1 or 2 tb. They are good for my use?
    Now the photos are stored on external firewire hd Western Digital Mac Studio 2 tb.

2 - RAM. The machine has 3 gigs of ram. I would like to upgrade with 2 banks of 4 gig to get to 10 gigs. The Mac Pro uses DDR3 ram 1066. In anticipation of a possible upgrade to 6core, better to buy ram 1333? The Ram 1333 work on my mac pro? which ram should I buy?

I think I have you asked around.

Mac Pro is connected to a NEC PA241W. I forgot. I have 3 old Lacie external hd
    d2 Quadra 250 and 500 gigabytes. Hd on which I have filed the first photos. The photos I would like to join them on a bigger hd and use these for something because they have the esata connection. To exploit these external hd esata .. I mount on my mac pro a dedicated card? which one?

Ok .. now is everything. Sorry for my bad english!!!!

Thanks

Zila

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. So how many new HDs do you need in total? Mac Pro has four HD bays in total, three of them which are free (one of them is populated by the stock HD). Caviar Greens are good as they are silent and provide great GB/$ ratio.

2. I would buy 1066MHz. RAM speed are pretty negligible in terms of real world performance so IMO 1333MHz would be waste of money. Besides, all modules would need to be 1333MHz, otherwise they will run at the speed of the slowest module (1066MHz in this case).

3. Here is one eSATA card. I'm sure you can find some in Italy as well

3. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Your English is better than most of what I see in English forums!

4. ahavriluk macrumors member

Hi Zila!

I am a photographer too and got the same Mac model a few weeks ago. I don't store original and processed photos on separate drives, but if you wish so, you can do it. Do you work with clients? or photography is a hobby? I do it as a business, so I store all client related files under one client's folder and into different subfolders: originals, proofs, album, etc. I have dedicated drive for only client photos. Actually, I have 2 HD in RAID-0 for that. I have one HD for time machine large enough to backup ALL drives in Mac. I kept stock 1 Tb drive for documents and personal files. I also have off-site external HD to which I periodically backup client's files.

I put OWC memory in it. I have 10 Gs of RAM: 2x4G + 2x1G.
    I hope this helps.