Mac Pro 2010, cpu upgrade stuck at Apple Logo

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by nudoru, Oct 21, 2018.

1. nudoru macrumors regular

nudoru

I picked up a 2010 dual 4 core tower a while back with the intention of upgrading it over time. I just "finished" upgrading the CPUs to dual 6 core and it's stuck on the Apple Logo screen. From what I've seen on line, this is a "good sign" since it booted this far. Looked at the verbose mode output, it freezes after the "End RandomSeed" line.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Seems like the CPU and Ram would be tested prior to the chime. What should my next steps be?

2. tsialex macrumors 601

tsialex

Put your original Xeons back and check if you can boot correctly. After that, test each Xeon on CPU-A socket.

3. nudoru thread starter macrumors regular

nudoru

I tried each new CPU opposite sockets, with new cpu A in A it froze at the Apple logo, with new cpu A in B there wasn't a startup chime. It's booting fine with the originals back in. I think one or more of these new ones is bad for sure and have contacted the ebay seller for a replacement.

4. flowrider macrumors 603

flowrider

^^^^The machine won't boot with a CPU in socket "B" and none in socket "A". Did you try the other CPU in Socket "A"?

Lou

5. nudoru thread starter macrumors regular

nudoru

I tried to boot it's with only CPU A in socket A but it wouldn't boot. I also swapped them so that each CPU was tested as a pair with each in the other socket, CPU A in A CPU B in B and the other way around. I contacted the seller and he's sending a new pair so I'll get to try again in a week or so.

6. tsialex macrumors 601

tsialex

You can test just Xeon-B into CPU-A socket.

7. Zeke D macrumors 65816

Zeke D

Also make sure you're running in single-user mode, so that you'll see kernel panics.

8. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

You mean verbose mode?

9. nudoru thread starter macrumors regular

nudoru

I did test just A in the A socket and it didn't even chime. If it was supposed to work, pretty sure that it's broken. I'll test the new pair when they arrive.