Mac Pro 2010 CPU upgrade -- what's worth the money?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by joaopmaia, Jul 11, 2016.

1. joaopmaia macrumors newbie

joaopmaia

I have a dual quad-core 2010 Mac Pro that I would like to upgrade, but I'm wondering if upgrading the CPU all the way to a dual 3.46ghz 6 core is such a good option (~$500 for a matched pair on eBay) when the 3.06ghz or 3.33ghz are so much cheaper.

I'm finding 3.06ghz matched pairs for ~$220 and 3.33ghz matched pairs for ~$250.

Is there really that much of a performance difference between these to justify the price increase?

2. frou macrumors regular

frou

The performance difference of these isn't a complex question -- you can get on top of it with a basic calculator.

Only you can answer whether having the best (or having x% perf increase) is worth $xxx of your own money.

3. joaopmaia thread starter macrumors newbie

joaopmaia

I appreciate that, but I'm asking for your (or everybody else's) opinion on this. I could live with a slight performance difference -- it just seems like I might be missing something obvious here. Seems crazy how much more expensive the 3.46ghz is when comparing it against the 3.33ghz.

4. nigelbb macrumors 6502a

The difference in performance is exactly proportional to the difference in clock speed. The 3.33GHz is the best price performance at 96% of the performance of the 3.46GHz.

5. DPUser macrumors 6502a

I've done both 3.33 and 3.46 (on single-CPU MPs) and do not perceive a difference. Unless $$$ simply don't matter to you, go 3.33.

6. joaopmaia thread starter macrumors newbie

joaopmaia

Great, thanks. Looks like 3.33ghz is the option for me then.

7. frou macrumors regular

frou

You're not missing anything -- it's just market being strange.

Curveball: You could get Octo-Core 3.46 GHz (dual X5677s) for approx $125 total

8. joaopmaia thread starter macrumors newbie

joaopmaia

9. DPUser macrumors 6502a

Perfect. De-lidding is only necessary (actually, optional with work-arounds) with 2009 4,1 DUAL CPU MPs.

If your workflow uses primarily single-threaded apps, the above is a good suggestion, but if you do any audio work, go for the hex CPUs for sure.

10. frou macrumors regular

frou

They have never worked in the MP according to the sticky thread.

11. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

darn.

12. DPUser macrumors 6502a

13. joaopmaia thread starter macrumors newbie

joaopmaia

What do you mean?

14. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

"Matched pair" is not "Hooey" (whatever that is), if it simply means that they are the same stepping (same revision number down to the last transistor).

It's only "Hooey" if someone is trying to claim that CPUs of the same stepping need to be matched, and some pairs of the same stepping aren't as good as other pairs of the same stepping.

Another point of possible "Hooey-ness" would be if you are overclocking - but since you can't do that on an Apple Pro it doesn't matter to get same stepping with similar tolerance for overclocking.

15. joaopmaia thread starter macrumors newbie

joaopmaia

16. DPUser macrumors 6502a

OK you got me technically. But, when it comes to X5680's, as far as I know, they are ALL matched to the full extent required (except for engineering samples, which no one can legally buy anyway.) Just buy two (non-ES) for the best price you can find, preferably pulled from a server, not previously subjected to some heavy overclocker's machinations.

17. CapnDavey macrumors 6502

CapnDavey

go with the best bang for your buck I say if its a little slower and cost 25 to 40 percent less go that way I say but what do I know!

good luck