Mac Pro 2010 keeps giving static screen problem, even after GPU upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Rebel Film, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Rebel Film macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have a base Quad 2.8 Mac Pro from 2010. I have 16GB of ram installed and have just upgraded my Apple Ati 5770 to a MSI Nvidia 570GTX for CUDA proposes. Works like a charm. Another reason I upgraded the GPU was that I kept getting bursts of coloured static on my right screen(I use to Samsung P2370's). Tried exchanging cables, using DVI and mini-displayport adaptor to DVI in any way possible, but the problem wouldn't go away. I get the static especially when doing intensive rendering in After Effects or Premiere. I also got the 570GTX to get rid of that problem, because it is highly irritating! It shouldn't happen on a machine which costs this amount of money...

But unfortnually... I popped in the 570GTX, everything is working fine, CUDA support and all. I start my first render and bam... display 2 starts flickering and goes into static.

It will flicker on and off and will show the desktop in between. It does it from cold boot or when the displays or the Mac comes out of sleep doesn't matter.

The static looks like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kennylindstrom/3498011127/sizes/l/in/photostream/

I blamed the 5770 for this, but clearly it's not the GPU.

Anyone has a solution?

2. fuzzypickle macrumors newbie

I've just had the same issue in my 3,1 - put an EVGA 570 GTX 2.5 gb in a couple of weeks ago, boot up, log in, turn on my second monitor (clunky old viewsonic 23" lcd), and same static as yours (based on the image you posted)... and then it disappeared while I was writing this post, but it's rather disconcerting.

Any ideas anyone?