Mac Pro 2010 Quad Core, restarted after a power outage

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by davelanger, Aug 29, 2011.

1. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Maybe someone can help me with this. My mac pro restarted after a power outage automatically even though the first power outage only lasted a few seconds. Could this be the reason why it just rebooted on its own even though I did not have that box checked off under energy saver?

2. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

what os are you running on you macpro it might be another bug if its lion

3. davelanger thread starter macrumors 6502a

no its still snow leopard 10.6.8

4. goMac macrumors 603

Sometimes things just happen. I don't see this as a cause for concern.

I would see it not turning on again after a power outage as a cause of concern. :p

5. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

6. davelanger thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes it was on at the time. Luckily I was home and shut it down after it rebooted since the power went off and on a few more times before it went off for 18 hours.

The reason I worry is because I always leave my mac on sleep mode and if it was to keep rebooting when it should not after a power outage, it could brick my computer from the constant turning on and off in correctly esp if the power was to cut off while its rebooting.

I guess I could always get a better strip that has a battery but if I am not home, this may not even matter. And Yes i could just shut off the mac while I am not home, but isnt sleep mode better?

7. goMac macrumors 603

I wouldn't worry too much about this. The amount of on/off would have to be pretty extreme to worry about bricking it.

8. davelanger thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well it would brick it if it was in the middle of rebooting then the power cut again. That is how my HD crashed 5 years ago. I was rebooting my computer and the power cut out in the middle of a reboot.

9. goMac macrumors 603

Honestly? That can happen any time the power goes out, reboot or not. Reboots are actually a safer time for the power to go out, as that part of the OS is more crash resilient.

If you're worried about that, you need a UPS.

10. davelanger thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks, I may look into getting a UPS.
    Thanks for your help.