Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iskid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
Hello

I noticed my Mac Pro 2010 began to emit a high pitch whine ONLY while copying files TO a network share. It's strange, it happens only while copying files To a network share and not from a network, or to/from USB disks.. My Mac Pro works normally, but while copying file it emit that noise. Being a Mac older than 7 years, might be some capacitor, or something else that is going to die? Does it happens to others?

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
If it truly is only when copying files, I would think it's the HDD. But it really doesn't happen when you copy to a USB? You sure the noise comes from the Mac Pro and not from that network share (might be placed elsewhere but you never know)?

Kind of a vague problem really, all kinds of components in a Mac Pro can make those sounds like the processors and power supply. Copying files to a networks share isn't that different from other things you might do on a computer except for the use of the network and the HDD.

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
iskid, when I started hearing strange noises from my MacBook Pro 2010 I searched online. I'm not in a position to find that site now but on that site a whole range of various noises are described uniquely well. My particular noise (more of a clicking or knocking on an empty tin) pointed to graphics issues. Even tests run instore in UK didn't show a problem, but sure enough the graphics went and I was fortunate enough to be able to get it repaired in Thailand. So, sorry I can't access a search engine to find that site for you now but there is one out there and it's good.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
iskid, when I started hearing strange noises from my MacBook Pro 2010 I searched online. I'm not in a position to find that site now but on that site a whole range of various noises are described uniquely well. My particular noise (more of a clicking or knocking on an empty tin) pointed to graphics issues. Even tests run instore in UK didn't show a problem, but sure enough the graphics went and I was fortunate enough to be able to get it repaired in Thailand. So, sorry I can't access a search engine to find that site for you now but there is one out there and it's good.

OP was taking about Mac Pro 2010, not MacBook Pro 2010.

Reactions: nnoble

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
If only when talking to network share then is it possible your lan card could be at fault here?

As you say not when using USB.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
If only when talking to network share then is it possible your lan card could be at fault here?

As you say not when using USB.

Then why it only happen when uploading file but not downloading file? I am not familiar how the network operate. Is there any big difference between upload / download? Use totally different part of the network card?

Anyway, Is there any good test OP can do (e.g.) network speed test?

If its the network card, can we expect the same noise when performing the upload test?

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
Can OP try say a usb to lan adaptor or another pci card see if it goes away.

I seen pc lan cards do strange things as they age and start to fail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.