Mac Pro 2013 and Apple iTV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Hige, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Hige macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I have just recently given up on the whole PC world and decided to join the Mac world. However, I would like a bit of clarification if I may ask. I am planning on buying the new amazing Mac Pro 2013:

[​IMG]

I am also planning on buying the new Apple iTV for it. However, I am not getting any sort of information that tells me that I am able to hook up my Mac Pro to the TV and play. Can someone please provide me with information? Can this be done? I am sorry if this question seems stupid or mundane. Please forgive me for I am new to the whole Apple scene.

Many thanks.

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Seems you are asking two different questions.....

1. Can you play your Mac Pro desktop on an AppleTV? Unknown as far as the 2013; however it does not work on any current Mac Pro. Unknown for the new one tho until they are released.
    2. Can you hook the Mac Pro to your tv?. Yes you should be able to. A simple MDP/Thunderbolt to HDMI should work no problem. Those cables run all of $8 from monoprice.com

3. yinz macrumors 6502a

Could you clarify your question? There is no Apple iTV yet. There is an Apple TV, but I don't see why you'd want to hook that up directly to your Mac Pro. The Mac Pro has no screen, so I don't think you can hook up your Apple TV to the Mac Pro to consume content.

If you want to connect the Apple TV to your Mac Pro, the only way is via Micro USB to USB. This is done for updates and restoring your Apple TV. Other than this, it doesn't do much. You can also do this without the Mac Pro connected. Apple TV has over the air updates now.

1. I think this can be done via Airplay Mirroring when Mavericks comes out. I'm looking forward to that, although, I don't think you'd want to do this as a long term solution. I feel something will break...

Also, most TV's now have more than 1 HDMI port, so the OP can simply connect the Mac Pro directly to any TV, if that addressed the question at all....

4. Hige thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

First off, I would like to thank everyone for their responses and their advise. I think I kind of confused everyone. My intentions is to use the unreleased Apple iTV because of its 4K resolution for my Mac Pro gaming. I know that both are not released at this moment. I would like to at least wait for the 2nd generation of the new Mac Pro. I am not really that interested in hooking it up to my current TV. For example, I would love to play Elder Scrolls V Skyrim through my Apple iTV. Also, I would love to play my PS3 via the TV as well.

Thank you all again for all your help and providing me with more knowledge.

I also appreciate advisement on what NOT to do. Many thanks!

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Although the pricing for new Mac Pro is not known yet, the general belief is they will start at around $3000.
    That would make it quite expensive game-console, right?

6. rei101 macrumors 6502a

Why are you asking questions about things that does not exists? hello!

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Whoa.... So you want to know how to hook a currently unreleased (but announced) Apple product in the Mac Pro to a rumored (but no announcement and at this point vaporware) product in the Apple iTV? I assumed you were confused and were calling the AppleTV the Apple iTV.... For all we know IF the iTV is ever released it may not even have ports to connect to it!

Edit: And you aren't even talking about the upcoming Mac Pro, but rather the second generation New Mac Pro that could be different that what is being released in the next couple of months? Oy.....

Let me get out my crystal ball.....