Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 1, 2021
Hi, I have a Huawei MateView 28.2" monitor, it has an aspect ratio of 3:2 with a resolution of 3840 X 2560. It has a full function USB C port and a HDMI 2.0 port which I think is limited to 50HZ, it's a 60HZ monitor, and a Mini Display Port DP 1.2. Can the 2013 Mac Pro cylinder machine with the dual D700 GPU's run the monitor at it's native resolution and 60HZ?

And If it can do it over USB C from it's Thunderbolt 2 Ports will it also provide sound over that same connection to the monitors built in speakers? I have tested the monitor and it can receive sound over USB C fine.

And a side question I have is, is the 2013 Mac Pro still receiving Mac OS updates, can it install the newest version for instance. And can it bootcamp into Windows 11 or is Windows 10 it's limit?

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 1, 2021
Bootcamp works great with Windows 11 on this machine

Thanks, will it run my monitor at native resolution though? I presume it can but not sure about 60HZ? And what would be the best way to connect it?

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
The 6,1 Mac Pro can run 4K 60Hz over the DisplayPort. I don't know if it will work converted to USB-C. It is supported by the newest macOS release. I suggest running Windows in a VMWare Fusion virtual machine instead of Boot Camp. A Windows EFI installation via Boot Camp will make corruption in the firmware put inserting SecureBoot certificates into it. Alternatively you can delete the EFI folder in the Windows installation media to install Windows in legacy boot mode, or you can install the OpenCore boot loader which has a firmware protection feature if you want to install Windows in EFI mode.

Reactions: Pezimak

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 1, 2021
The 6,1 Mac Pro can run 4K 60Hz over the DisplayPort. I don't know if it will work converted to USB-C. It is supported by the newest macOS release. I suggest running Windows in a VMWare Fusion virtual machine instead of Boot Camp. A Windows EFI installation via Boot Camp will make corruption in the firmware put inserting SecureBoot certificates into it. Alternatively you can delete the EFI folder in the Windows installation media to install Windows in legacy boot mode, or you can install the OpenCore boot loader which has a firmware protection feature if you want to install Windows in EFI mode.

Sounds dangerous! Do you get these problems with Windows 10?

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 1, 2021

Seems deleting the EFI folder would be the simplest solution then. Thanks, am I right in saying you would connect the Mac to the monitor from its thunderbolt 2 port? So a thunderbolt 2 to Mini DP cable?

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 1, 2021
I am thinking of buying a 2013 Mac Pro, I need a new computer for general use and have just found out the new M1 MacBook Pro won't even play Half Life 2. I enjoy playing these older games like Half Life and StarCraft 2 etc. will these games work well under Windows in the dual D700's? Anyone have experience with this. I really don't like the cheese grater Mac Pro and can't afford a new one plus it's not worth it for general use.

I'm split between the trash can Mac Pro and the new Surface Laptop Studio which I also like but it's Windows.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Thunderbolt 2 is a mini DP connection. So you only need a mini DP to whatever your monitor input is (DP or mini DP). I don't know much about the PC games, but those should be fine. If I play a game it's usually on the PlayStation or Switch. The 2013 Mac Pro is a great general use computer. However, be aware of its limitations and potential issues. Find one with AppleCare+ if you can. The GPUs are expensive to replace. I advise against attempting to replace either a GPU or CPU on these yourself (those parts are not DIY friendly), but you can easily upgrade the memory and storage. Those are the 2 main advantages over an M1 Mac. A generic NVMe SSD, such as an sk Hynix Gold P31, works great with a simple adapter.

Apparently the game you want works on an M1 Mac under Windows 11 for ARM on a Parallels 17 virtual machine according to this Reddit post.

Spacedust

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
I am thinking of buying a 2013 Mac Pro, I need a new computer for general use and have just found out the new M1 MacBook Pro won't even play Half Life 2. I enjoy playing these older games like Half Life and StarCraft 2 etc. will these games work well under Windows in the dual D700's? Anyone have experience with this. I really don't like the cheese grater Mac Pro and can't afford a new one plus it's not worth it for general use.

I'm split between the trash can Mac Pro and the new Surface Laptop Studio which I also like but it's Windows.
Even GTA V works great on dual D700 in Crossfire mode.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 1, 2021
Even GTA V works great on dual D700 in Crossfire mode.

Thanks! That pretty much should mean it'll run my older games fine. Now I just need to decide if I want an old Mac or a new Windows laptop. Or maybe eventually get both? Would I notice much difference between the dual D700's and an RTX 3050ti? With older games, I have a Xbox for new games.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Can the 2013 Mac Pro cylinder machine with the dual D700 GPU's run the monitor at it's native resolution and 60HZ?
I don’t think so. I have a MateView too — and full resolution at 60 Hz requires a pixel clock of 631.75 MHz whereas the AMD GPU is limited to (about) 600 MHz. So — no 60 Hz. It will probably come up at full resolution but 30 Hz, but creating a custom mode using SwitchResX at 50 Hz refresh should do the trick.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 1, 2021
I don’t think so. I have a MateView too — and full resolution at 60 Hz requires a pixel clock of 631.75 MHz whereas the AMD GPU is limited to (about) 600 MHz. So — no 60 Hz. It will probably come up at full resolution but 30 Hz, but creating a custom mode using SwitchResX at 50 Hz refresh should do the trick.

Interesting, never knew that. So will that custom refresh rate lock it only to 50HZ in Windows then? No 60HZ? And would the D700 run the screen at native res 60HZ in Mac OS?

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Interesting, never knew that. So will that custom refresh rate lock it only to 50HZ in Windows then? No 60HZ? And would the D700 run the screen at native res 60HZ in Mac OS?
The pixel clock limit is in the AMD GPUs themselves, so it applies to both Mac OS and Windows. Assuming it is 600 MHz (I’ve never tried more than 540 MHz myself), then 57 Hz at the MateView’s native resolution might just be possible using a custom CVT-RB timing. 57 Hz requires a 599.25 MHz pixel clock.

I suggest connecting the monitor using a simple MiniDisplayPort-to-MiniDisplayPort cable. You should get sound from the speakers using that — I do.

Adapters or cables that go from MiniDisplayPort (computer) to USB-C (monitor) are expensive and just unnecessarily complicate things (a simple USB-C to MiniDisplayPort cable, or Apple's Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter will not work!).

The 2013 Mac Pro's HDMI port is useless in your case because it's version 1.4 and limited to 30 Hz at "4K".

Last edited:

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 1, 2021
It has six Thunderbolt 2 ports. These behave like a normal MiniDisplayPort if you plug in a DisplayPort display. :)

Thank you, a lot to ponder here, if you install Windows by Bootcamp on the old 2013 Mac Pro and it's running the latest Mac OS, can you run 32bit apps in Windows on the Mac?

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 1, 2021
Thank you for everyone's help, given me a lot to think about and research, but I feel a 2013 Mac Pro is on the list as a new computer, it'll be between it and a Surface Laptop Studio. I'd love the new Mac Pro but it's a little crazy to spend over 6 grand in my spec for a home use machine just cause it's an Intel one.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
For some older 32-bit Windows apps you need a 32-bit Windows installation because they won’t run in 64-bit Windows. I keep a virtual machine with 32-bit Windows 10 to run automotive apps from the 2000s. I think that should be able to run any apps back to the Windows 95 era. It’s a shame they didn’t make a 32-bit Windows 11, but I like 10 better anyways.

Last edited:

marigo

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2021
New Monterey like Mojave was wroten for iMacs but those computers have not HDMI ports. Then we have problems. Drivers was designet for new. Mac Pro 6.1 have 3 buses with 6 thunderbolts. One aditionaly have HDMI UHD which was forgoten by Apple.
Then we pay money and must to do what should be done by them.

marigo

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2021
That is why cnnection Mac Pro Late 2013 (6,1 trashcan) HDMI UHD to Samsung FHD is not possible and we see black screen.
Anyway when we connect by thunderbolt to HDMI all is correct.
Then let me explain what is exactly support for Mac Pro by Mojave, Monterey.
And one more - any services don't know what to do and how it explain.
The same on the official Apple support page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.