Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patstini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2014
Scotland
Hello,
I'm in the market for a new MacPro to update me from my existing MacPro 1,1 which despite being tricked out with SSD's RAM and a new GPU is now just too long in the tooth. I have the cash for one of these new tiny ones but I'm hearing conflicting rumours as to wether it's about to be updated by a new one. Can anyone give me a reason to hold onto my cash?

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
I'd hang fire unless you really must have one now. The 6,1 is a nice machine but something tells me 4K support will be better on the 6,2 model. You might not need 4K now, but once these displays become the norm in the next 12-18 months you will want one.

patstini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2014
Scotland
Thanks Shaun,
Yep, I had ruled out a 4K monitor for the moment (as they seem to have all kinds of compatibility issues with the current model) but it would certainly be useful in the near future.
I also asked this question on FB and a friend in Berlin claims to have seen a 2015 model at the Apple Store there. Everyone else is just making ash tray jokes...

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hello,
I'm in the market for a new MacPro to update me from my existing MacPro 1,1 which despite being tricked out with SSD's RAM and a new GPU is now just too long in the tooth. I have the cash for one of these new tiny ones but I'm hearing conflicting rumours as to wether it's about to be updated by a new one. Can anyone give me a reason to hold onto my cash?

I'd wait. Haswell-E just came out and we're getting close to the point where an update should be around the corner…unless Apple is now only updating the Mac Pro at every other release of a generation of Xeon chips (which, given the relative demand, cost, and longevity of Mac Pros, is totally a possibility).

MMcCraryNJ

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
I'd wait as well. If you were in the US, I would say you could get on some great deals right now otherwise. For example, Adorama has the stock 6-core model with AppleCare for $3,499. For most of us, no sales tax and free shipping makes that an awesome deal. Combined with the fact that you can find the 1 TB SSD on Ebay for around $650-$750, that's some killer savings over Apple's pricing.

I don't know what kind of deals are over in Scotland right now, but if there's nothing great, I'd hang on. We should be hearing something soon.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
If we get through February or March with no update, I'd say they're skipping Haswell (although they could totally screw with everyone and release at WWDC). I'm pretty sure they won't be skipping Haswell though, with Skylake so far away, and Broadwell doing whatever it is Broadwell is doing. If I were Apple, I wouldn't be waiting for Broadwell.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
You'll never see a Haswell-E in a Mac Pro

I'd wait. Haswell-E just came out and we're getting close to the point where an update should be around the corner…unless Apple is now only updating the Mac Pro at every other release of a generation of Xeon chips (which, given the relative demand, cost, and longevity of Mac Pros, is totally a possibility).

"Haswell-E" is the Core-i7 Extreme and the Xeon E3 series - it was released in 2013 summer 2014.

The E5-x6xxv3 series are "Haswell-EP".

"-E" == Core i7 Extreme and Xeon E3
"-EP" == Xeon E5​

Last edited:

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
"Haswell-E" is the Core-i7 Extreme and the Xeon E3 series - it was released in 2013.

The E5-x6xxv3 series are "Haswell-EP".

"-E" == Core i7 Extreme and Xeon E3
"-EP" == Xeon E5​

The Xeon E3 is not a "Haswell-E" CPU. If you really want to be pedantic about it, it appears it's now called "Haswell-WS", but for all intents and purposes, it's just a regular Haswell CPU in Xeon clothing. It shares the same architecture and socket as other Haswell i7 CPUs.

The Haswell-E Core i7 "Extreme" is a Haswell-E, and shares basically the same architecture and socket as Haswell-EP Xeon E5 CPUs.

Hope that helps.

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
It's possible that Apple might update the Mac Pro in H1 2015 but, if they do, it will be a minor update. There is nothing exciting that they could add right now. DDR4 and Thunderbolt 3 (along with Displayport 1.3) are the best possible improvements that could be put into the Mac Pro anytime soon. Broadwell will benchmark better, but I doubt the difference would be noticeable in normal use.

Now may not be a great time to buy a new Mac Pro, but I think it's a reasonable time to buy. It could easily be another year before the Mac Pro will be updated.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
The Xeon E3 is not a "Haswell-E" CPU. If you really want to be pedantic about it, it appears it's now called "Haswell-WS", but for all intents and purposes, it's just a regular Haswell CPU in Xeon clothing. It shares the same architecture and socket as other Haswell i7 CPUs.

The Haswell-E Core i7 "Extreme" is a Haswell-E, and shares basically the same architecture and socket as Haswell-EP Xeon E5 CPUs.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the correction - yes, the E3-xxxxv3 is just a standard Haswell with ECC enabled.

norman.king.12

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2014
I purchased my stock 6-Core Mac Pro 6,1 last month from Amazon UK. It was over £400 less than buying directly from Apple so there are some good deals around on the 6,1 stock models. (I used the £400 I saved to buy a LaCie 2BIG 6TB Thunderbolt enclosure).

reco2011

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2014
Thanks Shaun,
Yep, I had ruled out a 4K monitor for the moment (as they seem to have all kinds of compatibility issues with the current model) but it would certainly be useful in the near future.
I also asked this question on FB and a friend in Berlin claims to have seen a 2015 model at the Apple Store there. Everyone else is just making ash tray jokes...

Never happened. Given the scrutiny Apple gets if there were a 2015 model at an Apple store it would be all over the place.

nox-uk

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2012
It's also 2014, which means if he saw a new model Mac pro in an Apple Store, it would surely be a 2014 edition, not 2015?

Nox

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.