Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phalewhale

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Hey all,

Recently sent my iMac back. Using my MBP at the moment and really missing a big screen. My plan was to wait until WWDC to see if there were any changes to the MP + ACDs before shelling out for one, but I don't think I can last another 2 weeks.

If get a MP+ACD tomorrow I have to drive 300 miles to get it. And I would probs end up listing the machine on eBay if a new one was introduced before the end of the year.

What to do... what to do?

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Why not buy the display (or alternatively get a cheaper display with greater functionality from Dell or Samsung) and use your MacBook Pro with it?

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
You could simply buy online from Apple and let FedEx of UPS do the driving for you while you wait at home using your MBP. However, it is worth it to get the Mac Pro, there's a huge performance increase over that of a MacBook Pro. If you would be getting the Mac Pro for the sole purpose of a large screen, you could just buy an ACD to go along with your MBP, but if it's power your after, feel free to go with the Mac Pro + ACD.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Doesn't the Apple Store have a policy where if a new product releases, or your product is discounted within 14 days you can exchange it or get refunded the difference? If so, go ahead and buy it knowing that the policy is in effect. Besides, what is the likeliness of them being announced at the developers conference? I know its been a source of other Apple products in the past, but never displays. This WWDC will be iPhone centric, and I highly doubt they'd just update the displays there. I think they'll wait to sometime in the Summer where they can get more attention for a Mac focused event.

phalewhale

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Why not buy the display (or alternatively get a cheaper display with greater functionality from Dell or Samsung) and use your MacBook Pro with it?

I tried this and found the MBP to be incredibly slow. I tried in both extended desktop mode and with the lid closed. Even with the lid closed it was slow. I posted to the MBP forum and folk reckoned it was due to the Graphics card in my 2.2GHz SR MBP.

I suppose I could get one and return it if it was updated in 12 days time - however unlikely that may be. I dunno!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.