Mac Pro + 23" ACD - Should I buy tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by phalewhale, May 27, 2008.

  1. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

    phalewhale

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2007
    #1
    Hey all,

    Recently sent my iMac back. Using my MBP at the moment and really missing a big screen. My plan was to wait until WWDC to see if there were any changes to the MP + ACDs before shelling out for one, but I don't think I can last another 2 weeks.

    If get a MP+ACD tomorrow I have to drive 300 miles to get it. And I would probs end up listing the machine on eBay if a new one was introduced before the end of the year.

    What to do... what to do?
     
  2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

    neiltc13

    Joined:
    May 27, 2006
    #2
    Why not buy the display (or alternatively get a cheaper display with greater functionality from Dell or Samsung) and use your MacBook Pro with it?
     
  3. iToaster macrumors 68000

    iToaster

    Joined:
    May 3, 2007
    Location:
    In front of my MacBook Pro
    #3
    You could simply buy online from Apple and let FedEx of UPS do the driving for you while you wait at home using your MBP. However, it is worth it to get the Mac Pro, there's a huge performance increase over that of a MacBook Pro. If you would be getting the Mac Pro for the sole purpose of a large screen, you could just buy an ACD to go along with your MBP, but if it's power your after, feel free to go with the Mac Pro + ACD.
     
  4. aaquib macrumors 65816

    aaquib

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2007
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada
    #4
    Doesn't the Apple Store have a policy where if a new product releases, or your product is discounted within 14 days you can exchange it or get refunded the difference? If so, go ahead and buy it knowing that the policy is in effect. Besides, what is the likeliness of them being announced at the developers conference? I know its been a source of other Apple products in the past, but never displays. This WWDC will be iPhone centric, and I highly doubt they'd just update the displays there. I think they'll wait to sometime in the Summer where they can get more attention for a Mac focused event.
     
  5. phalewhale thread starter macrumors 6502a

    phalewhale

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2007
    #5
    I tried this and found the MBP to be incredibly slow. I tried in both extended desktop mode and with the lid closed. Even with the lid closed it was slow. I posted to the MBP forum and folk reckoned it was due to the Graphics card in my 2.2GHz SR MBP.

    I suppose I could get one and return it if it was updated in 12 days time - however unlikely that may be. I dunno!
     

Share This Page