Mac Pro -> 24" LED Display compatibility ???'s

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JayV2010, Dec 2, 2009.

1. JayV2010 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know the actually compatibility of the Mac Pro with the Apple 24" LED display via Mini Displayport?

I would like to move my Mac Pro out of the studio and into the room below. The ideal solution would be to simply run a single Mini DP from the Mac Pro (ATI Radeon HD 4870) to the Apple Monitor which has USB, iSight, video and 2.1 sound support. The question is do all those items work over the Mini DP? I would be using this cable.

Apple support gave me a mixed answer, I know all those items will work via a MacBOOK Pro, but hoping the MacRumors people have a solid answer on this. Thanks in advance!

2. UTball macrumors newbie

I know that in my case. I have 2 LED screens that I use with my MP. I will say like everyone else has said that the cord are short and unless the MP is close to the LEDs then it is a pain to try to rearange things to make everything work. But once all hooked up everything has been working great and they are great monitors.

On the other hand I do have the 120 video cards and not the 4870. But I do know that recently an adapter came out that allowed you to use the LEDs with the 4870s, so there will be an extra cost.

3. frimple macrumors 6502

For the functionality you're after you need to get a USB extension as well. However, once you get the USB and MD extensions added everything will work as expected.

4. JayV2010 thread starter macrumors newbie

That what the answer I was looking for. I was not understanding that I have to use the stock cable harness from the 24" LED. The Apple techs said just plug the Mini DP into the mac pro and everything will work.....
    Needing to extend the USB as well makes sense. Thanks

5. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

The USB should be carrying the Audio and iSight. At least that is how it is listed in the System Profiler. And of course anything you plug into the USB hub.

It is nice to see people making longer cables for the MiniDisplay Port.