Mac Pro 2600XT No Display

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jan08, Jun 28, 2010.

1. jan08 macrumors regular

I've read a number of threads today with regards to issues with the 2600XT card but I can't find a definitive answer to my problem so am hoping some helpful member can help me out.

I can no longer get any kind of display from my 2.8 Mac Pro. I was having problems whereby I could turn it off and back on and it would work but now absolutely nothing. I have tried everything I can think of such as clearing card of dust etc but all to no avail. I can hear the chimes upon startup and am convinced its the graphics card but don't want to go buy another if I'm missing something obvious.

If anyone could help and point me in the direction of the best value replacement card I'd be so grateful

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Have you tried switching the PCIe slot? Also, try PRAM and SMC reset.

GT 120 is the cheapest option and works in '08 Mac Pro so if you don't need much graphics performance, it's a good choice. Otherwise, jump for the ATI 4870

3. jan08 thread starter macrumors regular

:( Yes I've tried all those as well and got nowhere. Not had a display for over a week now and rebooted it about 300 times!

4. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Get new card. Many of these 2600XT ends their life exactly like your card.

5. jan08 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice guys. I've just bought one of those GT 120 used on eBay for £70 which if works I'll be delighted with.

Thank you!

edit - New card came and it worked a treat. As usual macrumours saves the day