Mac Pro 3.0 Dual or 2.8 quad?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Masher500, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Masher500 macrumors member

Masher500

So in the refurb section @ apple they have a quad 3.0 for like 3200 or something like that.. anyways, do you guys think i should go with that or get the base level 8 core that comes out when ever Apple decides?? I really dont need it right now, but i want it right now. Is it that much more processing power im missin out on?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

3. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Go for the 8 core my friend....Safari SCREAMS on it.

4. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Have you seen the benchmarks for Mail and Address Book? I have never seen my machine search through 50+ addresses that fast.

5. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Think about what 3200 will get you when the new MacPros come out. You might even be able to get the 8-Core 3.2ghz for that price. Ya never know. Just wait.

6. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Or the worst case scenario being that the current 8-core Mac Pro will be even cheaper in the Refurbished store :D

7. GoodWatch macrumors 6502a

GoodWatch

Are applications like Safari multi processor aware? Threading over all 8 cores? Or does OS X keeps Safari just running in a single core because there is no need to utilise all 8 cores for a mere web browser? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I think it is a valid cocern to discuss with multi-core machines sprouting like mushrooms lately.

8. GoodWatch macrumors 6502a

GoodWatch

:D

9. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I see what you did there!

10. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Chances are that if you need a 8-core machine it is not for web browsing ;)

But to the best of my knowledge (and using the Activity Monitor) I can see that Safari does use more than one core when accessing sites, especially if they have flash ads etc. Not sure if that makes it multithreaded at all though ;)

11. GoodWatch macrumors 6502a

GoodWatch

How do I do this? I can see the number of threads, the % of CPU load, memory occupied but NOT the number of cores utilised :confused: (It makes no difference if you have a 2 or 8 core machine)

12. Masher500 thread starter macrumors member

Masher500

thanks for the great comments!

I mostly encode videos, and surf the web a bunch...... haha j/k

Yeah i think i might just wait. I do mostly video editing and motion stuff. so im hoping that i can cut down render times compared to my MBP, which im pretty confident on. Plus i use compressor a BUNCH so im looking forward to see what this 8 core machine can do for me.:D

Hopefully 4300 bucks will be enough to buy my Mac+HDDs+Ram.. you guys think 6 gigs of ram is enough for this machine?

13. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

You can basically see the load on each core with Activity Monitor :)

14. GoodWatch macrumors 6502a

GoodWatch

Yeeeeeees, but how do I see that e.g. Safari uses x cores? I don't see this.

15. JeffDM macrumors 6502a

You need to look at the "% CPU" column for the program. If it's above 100% then it's using more than one CPU. Then go to an animation-heavy site and watch it.

If you want to watch your CPU use as you work, I would right-click the Activity Monitor dock icon, select "Dock Icon" and then select "Show CPU history".

16. Rowlander macrumors member

How likely is it that the next base-model mac pro will be 8-core?
    I´m just wondering if they can stay at a 2.500 $ starting price with an 8-core configuration and 2 gigs of RAM. I´m not planning on spending much more than that. Unless I have to. :eek:

Personally, I could use 8 cores for several video-rendering tasks but I can understand if some people don´t get excited over it.

17. G4DP macrumors 65816

They have no excuses for raising the cost.

Rowlander. Apple have no justification if they increase the cost of the Mac Pro systems.

The Quad chips cost the same as the Dual chip did when they were released last year. Ram prices have dropped through the floor, HD prices have also fallen like a lead ballon. The graphics cards are also similar prices. If anythig they should be slightly cheaper, but given Apples history I doubt there will be a price reduction.

The rest of the world might see a small reduction in price, but the cost to you guys in the US will stay the same.

18. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

They should be, but I would say that Apple would rather stuff a few more goodies in their and keep it at $2499 than to drop the price. The MP was a great value when it first came out. I'd say/hope that the next upgrade will be a great value as well.

....I'm buying one regardless, so I hope it's a good deal.

19. G4DP macrumors 65816

I wish I could share your optimism, but they make us pay for Bluetooth and wireless, yet all other models have it as standard, so i'm not getting my hopes up either. IT was great value, but that was a long long time ago in a galaxy far away.

Riad, I can do without, I don't do Video crunching, and I rmember to back up my work onto disk every week, or if I complete something important, but there are features that we should expect to see. Bigger HD than the iMac for one, at least 2GBRAM if not 4GB as this is a pro workstation. Not overly fussed about the video cards as long as they are less than a year old it'll be an improvement.

I will also be buying one in Jan, just need to know which ram is going in the bloody thing, so I can either buy it now as "GB sticks are dirt cheap, or save some money back for a few months later when the new RAM drops in price.

20. Blogger macrumors 6502

A bit late to the table here, but thanks for this, I laughed out loud.

21. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I really hope we see a new Mac Pro at Macworld, or I will cry...

22. nikiski macrumors regular

No, no, no. I swear calculator will be benefit even more from 8 cores. It blazes. It calculated the answer even before I inputed the formula!

Although I don't own a 8-core Mac Pro... yet.