mac pro 3.0 video card replacement

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hansolo1l5, Jun 29, 2011.

1. hansolo1l5, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011

hansolo1l5 macrumors newbie

hello,
    I have a mac pro xeon quad computer, running snow leopard.

my mac pro's 8800gt recently crapped out and i bought an msi radeon 5770 to replace it with since i read that 5770's are compatible with these machines. however i cannot get it to display any video with the new card. the computer boots, i hear the apple chime just no video. ive tried using the displayport adapter to dvi, the dvi to vga adapter and just plain dvi and nothing. do i need to flash the bios on the card to get it to work with the mac? what am i doing wrong here.

thanks

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

MSI is a PC brand. You can't use PC cards in Mac's, unless you either flash them or use injectors to simulate EFI firmware.

You want the easy route, head over to Apple.com/store and buy the Apple 5770.

else head over to the golden guide in my signature.

3. hansolo1l5, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011

hansolo1l5 thread starter macrumors newbie

definitely don't mind flashing ive done it before. having gone through the guide it looks like i can do all the flashing via my windows 7 pc with the 5770 in there, however the guide talks about 4xxx series where can i grab the tools and necessary files for a 5770?

4. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

yes. Zeus can not flash 5000 series yet.

head over to netkas.org to look for firmwares, or make your own.

5. hansolo1l5 thread starter macrumors newbie

curious reading over in the netkas forums. most of the rom's are made for xfx or sapphire cards. does a rom have to be manufacturer specific or can those roms be flashed to my msi card. thanks for answering all my questions.

6. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

answer is in golden guide.

read through the netkas forum threads for success stories.