Mac Pro 3.1 2.8 GHz 4-core to 8-core upgrade... HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by DJTEMPO7, Aug 10, 2014.

1. DJTEMPO7 macrumors newbie

Hoping someone might be able to point me toward a solution...

I just took the dive, and installed a 2nd 4-core 2.8 GHz processor in my Mac Pro 3.1.

It's all put back together... but when I hit the power button... no "chime", (no death-tone, either), nothing on screen, the monitor doesn't awaken... nuthin. Zilch.

I was honestly expecting the death-tone and the Sad-Mac, but nothing... well, the fans are running.

Is there one of the famous "reset" buttons on the motherboard, somewhere that I haven't found yet?

My only hesitancy before I set off PULLING the new 4-core chip, is that something in the system has been tripped or set-off-kilter, and even going back to the basic 4-core state won't fix the problem.

Any thoughts, from anyone, would be greatly appreciated.

Chip Tredo
    214-646-4906

2. DJTEMPO7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Reset button

Found the reset button on the motherboard, pressed it with the computer off, no difference.

Anyone have a chart for what these red LED's on the motherboard are all about?

3. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

You've most likely bought CPU with wrong stepping. You need SLANT one (like stock is), not the SLBBN or QFUK (ES).

4. NOTNlCE macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

I agree, this would cause the problems you're describing. You for sure want a SLANT E5462 Xeon processor.