Mac Pro 3,1 and Apple RAID Card Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MacDann, Jun 9, 2016.

1. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Strange things afoot:

Mac Pro 3,1 with an Apple RAID card. Booting from a 480GB SSD on the spare SATA port. No Boot Camp.

A few days ago, I got an alarm from the RAID utility stating that one of the drives had failed. I have four 300GB SAS drives configured as two RAID 1 volumes, two drives for one volume, two drives for another volume.

OK, I think, not a big deal, I'll just limp along until I have a replacement drive in a couple of days. I have backups, so not a big deal.

Next day I start up the MP and it won't boot. Gray screen and just hangs. Hit the PRAM couple of times and it boots, both RAID volumes show up on the desktop. I'm figuring that since there is a problem with one volume the boot sequence is disturbed. OK, replacement drive will be here in another day or two, I'll survive.

Yesterday, the MP won't boot again, same behavior as previous day. I hit the PRAM a good 3-4 times, still nothing. I hit it some more and finally it boots, but now the RAID card and associated drives are nowhere to be found. Look around in System Information and no indication there is a RAID card installed.

I'm wondering if it wasn't the drive failing, but the RAID card? I was wondering if this is a know failure issue, that is, that the card starts getting wonky before it finally dies?

Yes, I know that Apple RAID is junk, but it came with the MP and I figured I would use it until it died. Unfortunately, I would like to recover what's on the drives, so if it has died I'll probably have to get a replacement just to recover my data if it's not all on my backups...

Thanks,

MacDann

2. MacDann thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Figured this out on my own out of necessity.

Later on the MP would simply not boot, period. Strange, as the boot volume is an SSD, not the RAID.

Put it on the bench last night, pulled the RAID card and SAS drives, replaced them with a couple of SATA drives I had handy and moved on. Used Time Machine to restore both from backups.

MacDann