Mac Pro 3,1 Crash to Black Screen High Fan Speeds.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MordecaiTheFox, Mar 6, 2018.

1. MordecaiTheFox macrumors newbie

MordecaiTheFox

Hello! This is my first post here, was looking to get some help with a Mac Pro I acquired.
    Let me give you an idea of what I did to this point.
    Completely took it apart, dusted it all out, reapplied thermal paste, and removed the non functioning superdrives.
    I also installed a 240GB SSD, and a 250 GB HDD.
    Lastly I installed an EVGA GTX 1060 6GB edition as my gpu. I was able to get the patched version of High Sierra installed with no issues and then installed the nVidia web drivers. Everything seemed alright.
    But I noticed that sometimes the machine will crash to a black screen, then all the fans kick on to high. Sometimes it'll do it right after it Chimes, sometimes 30 seconds after it hits the desktop. Then I thought it was an issue with the patched OS, so I went back to El Capitan with the original 8800GT and I haven't had the issue occur yet. Will check when I get off work though because it seems to happen the longer it sits off. I was going to try a patched version of Sierra next to see if maybe it was a high sierra issue because I really want to use the GTX 1060 I bought for it as I will be using it to edit video.

The Tech specs are as follows:
    Early 2008 Mac Pro 3,1
    2 Xenon 3.0Ghz Quad Cores
    12GB DDR2 Ram
    GTX 1060 6GB
    240 GB Sandisk SSD + 250GB WD Blue

Hopefully someone out there can help me, I'd really appreciate it as I have run out of ideas aside from trying Sierra. Thanks!

Update - Each time this happens, it does chime and pass post, not once has it ever failed posting.

2. MordecaiTheFox thread starter macrumors newbie

MordecaiTheFox

3. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

Try run High Sierra with just the 8800GT, may be the 1060 cause the issue.

4. Razzerman macrumors 6502

Like h98 says, it might be the 1060 is drawing too much power.

If that fails, I'd try the ram next - 2gb is min for hs, I think.

5. MordecaiTheFox thread starter macrumors newbie

MordecaiTheFox

Hmm I never thought that power would be an issue would explain the random crashes though. I just assumed because it was a 1200 watt PSU that it was beefy enough for it.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 6, 2018 ---
    Trying that now.

6. MordecaiTheFox thread starter macrumors newbie

MordecaiTheFox

I was trying to extract the High Sierra image I had and it crashed again. Black screen, high fans, on El Capitan and the 8800GT.
    Got this from the console though right before it shut off not sure if this is of any help...

[​IMG]

7. Dr. Stealth macrumors 6502a

Dr. Stealth

Actually it's 980 watts..... But it's completely sufficient for your hardware.

8. MordecaiTheFox thread starter macrumors newbie

MordecaiTheFox

Oops, that was my bad...must of misread somewhere. But yea I don't see why it wouldn't be sufficient either way.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 6, 2018 ---
    Update: So I got it running 10.12.6 with the Nvidia web drivers and the GTX 1060. No crash yet. Ever since my last crash with the console logs above I tried running it with the original 2GB of ram that came with the system originally and its been good since. Will keep up to date. So far seems like it might be a ram issue, now I just need to find the problematic sticks.

Running 1 riser board with 2x1GB and the second riser not installed at the moment.

9. Project Alice macrumors 6502a

Project Alice

I have the same mac pro 3,1 with high sierra 10.13.3, and a GTX 1060 3GB. 2.8ghz 8 core. It's my daily and works great. You just have to make sure you have another mac you can screen share into it Everytime the os updates to update the nvidia drivers again otherwise it's a black screen. It's the FTW+ edition evga card, my mac has all 4 drive bays filled along with an ssd and a sata Blu-ray drive in the optical bay area. I haven't had any issues with too much power being drawn

10. MartyKuhrt macrumors newbie

This just started happening to me about a week ago on a very similar system. Right after boot, or within a minute or two, black screen and then high fans. Hold the power button, lather, rinse, repeat. Once it gets past the first black screen, and I reboot, it will run just fine all day.

Odd thing is I have not changed anything on this system for months. It is running Snow Leopard (even though I have partitions to run everything from Leopard to El Cap, I have one piece of software I use that has me locked at SL for the moment). 10G of memory (two 2G pair sets, one 1G pair set), four 500G disks, MacPro 3,1, 2008, 2.8G, Quad-core Intel Xenon.

Opened it up and cleaned and re-seated everything, but no appreciable change.