Mac Pro 3,1 dual 3.0 quad with Apple RAID card help.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by macmannate, Oct 31, 2014.

1. macmannate macrumors regular

Hey Everyone,

Guy's I have the above machine, my first one kicked the bucket the other night and picked this beauty up for cheap.

It has the apple raid card,

Im thinking of going back to the standard on board controller so i can boot camp windows server 2012 and Yosemite,

Im asking as i can't seem to find much info on the card its self is it really actually any good?. Is there a noticeable difference over the standard ports on the Logic Board? I've also heard it doesn't like ssd's?, Is it worth to keep using it or pull it out?.

Thanks Everyone :)

2. theitsage macrumors 6502a

Unless you need to run RAID 5, there's no benefit in having the Apple RAID card. Even if you do need RAID 5, most would recommend against it.

Take it out and sell it for whatever you can get. Buy a PCIe SATA III card to run SSDs is the way to go.

3. macmannate thread starter macrumors regular

ended up pulling the raid card got rid of the raid and reinstalled os x 10.10 on it with the new ssd, holly crap its fast... hard drive speed is still the same also, so win win and the boot time with out having to boot the raid card is so much faster...

WIN WIN,

Thank you!

4. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

The Apple Raid Card was THE worst purchase from Apple I ever made!!! I had nothing but trouble with it in my MP 3,1! Nice to read your machine flies now, congrats. Cheers

5. macmannate thread starter macrumors regular

That sucks to hear that they were terrible, ebay time, thinking of selling my 5770 also and a few other things like a 7970 that does boot screens for it, seems the mac doesn't like my 5770 PC card some times won't boot my main display at times. Or cause the machine todo multipul boot chimes, yes I've tested the CPUs and ram, seems fine using Intel utilities.