Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Axmakis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2018
Hello to you all !
Recently i tried to revive my old editing machine Early 2008 Mac Pro 3.1( 3.2 xeons) but i stumbled on a very annoying issue...
I bought an ssd , new graphics card (gtx 1060), 32 gb of RAM .. so far so good.
I installed the ram and the ssd, everything works, patched the OS to High Sierra successfully .. I am using my QUADRO 5600 1.5 g ram as Mac supported card and everything was fine for 2-3 days... Then i came upon the black screen. The Mac chimes , does the whole process of loading and the screen is black. First i thought that the logic board battery could've died ( i haven't used it in several years) , bought a new one and the mac started okey... That was until i restarted the Mac and again i got black screen again... I troubleshooted the LED's on the logic board and everything seems fine , except that the GPU led is flashing once at pressing power button and then nothing.. From what I gather around the forum is that the EFI can't configure the GPU correctly. I reset the SMC, PRAM, everything... I switched the PCIE slots , tried different card, still the same effect. Sometimes if i let it sit for 6-8 hours, the computer starts up ok, until restart .
Is it a faulty logic board? Could it be the PSU ? Can you tell me something that i might have missed?
Looking forward to your answers!
Have a great day
N.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.