Mac Pro 3,1 keeps rebooting.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Decathlon, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Decathlon, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013

Decathlon macrumors member

My old and loyal mac pro 3.1 2.8 ghz dual quad core. Keeps rebooting out of nowhere.
    only 3 party item inside is an ocz ssd hard drive from last year, after installing that my system became a little unstable when booting up, sometimes making a "bad" start that would make me start again. but that was kinda ok since i rarely turns it off.

it kinda a came some time after maverick, but not right after !

But the last 2 weeks my machine keeps rebooting, sometimes after 1-2 mins or 10 mins. sometimes after some hours.

Can anyone take a guess whats wrong...Please.

Heres a screenshot.

http://i39.tinypic.com/1zg476o.png

[​IMG]

2. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Not sure if this is the case but might also be a problem with your power supply. Before we had an iMac in the office that kept on rebooting and after diagnostics by the Mac tech guy, it was the power supply.

3. Decathlon thread starter macrumors member

text

I was kinda hoping the log could reveal some secrets :) but thx for the replies.

4. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

It revealed. You have a problem with RAM. Machine check with uncorrected error alwas points at this.

5. Decathlon thread starter macrumors member

THX but how sure

if you should put some % on it how, how sure are u that its Ram, because I'm located in Denmark, and i have to by ram from overseas :-(.

6. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Before purchasing if you can borrow a spare ram and try to install the ram to isolate the problem. Or if there are Apple service centers in your area and have it diagnosed

7. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

You have a lot of errors, maybe it's time to get a can of compressed air and do a good cleaning. RAM in 1,1s- 3,1s run very hot.

8. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

100%. Don't buy new RAM yet. Remove a pair of sticks, if problem will persist, put them back and remove next one. Alternatively you could use Memtestx86.iso burned on a CD (google it) and test the RAM using it. Another utility which is (sometimes) able to detect dodgy RAM is Apple Hardware Test (AHT) which you'll find on OS install disc shipped with the machine.

9. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

I believe the 3,1's were the line with the bad PSUs, anyone remember for sure?

10. Decathlon thread starter macrumors member

i will try to remove some of the ram

I will move half the ram and then see how that goes... and good idea bytheway :)

11. Decathlon thread starter macrumors member

I had 2 x2 gigs and 2x1 ram.

i removed the 2x1 and replaced the others correct, and it haven't booted since :)

thx for the help :)

12. Fbhall macrumors newbie

Hi Decathlon
    Frede her fra DK også;)
    Kører maskinen fortsat upåklageligt efter fjernelsen af ram. Har selvsamme maskine og er vist havnet i samme problem efter en Mavericks install.
    Er ved at teste ram….snork…:(

Mvh

Frederik