Mac Pro 3.1 performance on MV vs SL

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by majormike, May 17, 2014.

1. majormike macrumors newbie

Howdy there,

I'm planning on upgrading my OS to Mavericks, but I'm afraid it might not run as smooth as Snow Leopard, what's your experience?

Is the lagging issue in Logic Pro 9 gone? Everything running as smooth if not better? Please let me know.

The main reason I'd like to upgrade is because of PT11 and the advanced Audio Engine, which spreads the processing evenly across multiple cores.

I've only had bad experiences with either Lion or Mountain Lion and moved back to Snow Leopard consequently.

Mike

2. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

3. majormike thread starter macrumors newbie

dual quad core 2.8 with 8 gigs of ram and the standard 2600 XT

4. h9826790, May 18, 2014
    Last edited: May 18, 2014

h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

I think you better stay at SL, 8G RAM is a bit less for ML to run as smooth as SL.

And I suspect ML required a SSD to make it run "smooth". My main boot disk is SSD, and the backup disk is the original Apple HDD. Both are 10.9.3 now, and the speed difference is day and night.

Even though I was not using SSD in the SL generation. I never feel the OS is too slow. But this feeling is quite strong when booting in ML with HDD.

5. majormike thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? No way I can run it smooth? Damn, I really wanna use PT11.

6. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Do you have an SSD? On an old HDD Mavericks is slow as heck but on an SSD it flies. If you have one, I'd upgrade to Mavericks without hesitation.

7. hologram macrumors 6502

I don't agree.

I have a Core2 Duo 2.4 2008 iMac with 4gb ram, and Mavericks is running very smoothly for me, more so than any of the ML versions, and ML ran about the same for me as SL. Of course, it's all subjective, so YMMV.

I don't use Logic Pro, but if I can run it Mavericks and get good performance, you should be able to also.

In any case, you should have a good SL backup, so install it and if you don't like it, revert to SL.

8. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

I disagree. Mine ran very snappy with 8GB, the only thing that looks suspect is the video card.

It in no way NEEDS an SSD, I didn't have one until last week and it was fine,

9. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

When it really comes down to it SL was an under-the-bonnet kind up update, which is why people like to talk about how fast it was, and so is Maverics.

My current machine (2011 15" Pro) shipped with SL and when I when I updated to Lion and then ML I really couldn't see any kind of significant slowdown with ether update. As for Maverics, I had switched to an SSD so I can't make any kind of assessment as I haven't run SL with an SSD. Currently pretty much everything runs buttery smooth, except maybe for 3D heavy stuff (i.e games), but that's because of the meager GPU (Radeon 6490M), not the OS.

Personally I really don't see any real reason not to upgrade unless you're running a machine that isn't supported by 10.9 or use abandonware software that's broken and hasn't been updated to work with 10.9.

10. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

With a Mac Pro, if you have an open drive bay just add a hard drive (or as others said, an SSD is even better) and try it out. Easy to add & a new HDD is cheap.

11. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

You could just make a good TM back up, do the upgrade and if you don't like it restore back to original state using TM.