Mac Pro 3,1 questions

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by juanm, Apr 6, 2010.

1. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Hi

I got a great deal on an eight-core 2,8Ghz Mac Pro, and it should arrive tomorrow.

I already had Mac Pro 1,1, but I stumbled on a Buy it Now listing on eBay that was too good to miss.

I've got a few questions, though...

RAM:
    My Mac Pro 1,1 has now two sticks of 4GB of 667Mhz RAM I bought from Macsales. Are they compatible with the newer 800Mhz Mac Pro 3,1?
    (I know at best they will work slower, but it'd just be until the RAM for the 3,1 arrives)

Graphics:
    Also, I have a X1900XT and the new one carries an 8800GT. What areas can expect the best performance gain? Will Aperture work better with the new card or is it better only for gaming? I've read on some forums that Final Cut Studio applications weren't working very well with it, but they were quite old threads. Have those problems been solved?
    Any issue with this card? Overheating? Is it silent? Should I replace the heatsink for an aftermarket one or anything else?

FW:
    I want to put a cf card reader in the second optical bay. What I'd like to do is add a PCI-e card with an internal FW800 port to connect this card reader. Does anybody know if there's such a thing? If it doesn't exist, I'll just run the cable outside through an open PCI slot cover and then loop it back into the existent FW port.

Thanks for reading! Any help is welcome

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

They both use DDR2 so yes, it will work but at 667MHz.

Aperture can't really take advantage of GPU so it won't really affect it. For gaming it's better than X1900XT, that's sure. Haven't heard that there were any problems but if you want more speed, consider buying the ATI 4870.

3. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

for the card reader, get one with a SATA connection. then you can just connect it internally to one of the two available SATA ports on the motherboard.

4. 68topls macrumors newbie

If you find a good internal card reader with sata connections please post it. I'm looking for one for my 2.8 8 core mac pro as well.

5. juanm thread starter macrumors 65816

juanm

Mmmh... Good idea... I didn't know that existed...

I found this one: http://www.addonics.com/products/flash_memory_reader/adsacf.asp

There are three potential problems, however

They say it's not necessarily hot swappable. I know my eSata adapter on my Mac Pro 1,1 isn't, so I guess this wouldn't be either. It'd be a pita to have to reboot my system everytime I want to import a CF card into Aperture!

Is it as fast as Sandisk's FW800 reader?

Would it work with a Mac?

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

Why?

CF is really too slow to waste a SATA connector over (would be put to better use with a drive), and in the instance of a MP, the slot may not align with the ODD slot (without case mods).

It's best to stick with an external and use either USB or FW to connect it. There's plenty out there, and some would match the case well enough that it wouldn't be hideous looking IMO.

Please take note of what I posted above. ;)

As per the speed question, it would depend on the chip used (i.e. USB to SATA or FW to SATA bridge chip; if I had to guess, it's a USB to SATA bridge, so it would be slower as far as max throughput). But CF is usually only good for ~50MB/s anyway (why it's a waste to use a SATA port IMO).

Hot Swap isn't supported, as OS X Client edition doesn't have the driver support necessary (Server ed. does).

In the case of SATA drives, the MP's don't support the Hot Plug feature needed either, as there's no Inrush Current Limiter on either the logic board or PSU (so you would damage the PSU that way).

Hope this helps. :)

7. juanm thread starter macrumors 65816

juanm

Thanks for the clarifications!

I guess for now I'll just try to put my CF reader in the optical bay. I'll post pics when I'm done with what I've in mind.

There's a reason for this: I've got a six months old kitten, and she finds very amusing to take everything around (pen drives, card readers, cables, headphones...) and hide it...
    She's winning the war, at the moment, so I want to pack as much as possible in the Mac Pro. :eek:

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

I have a cat too, and a plastic drawer bin (example) does quite nicely to keep the paws off of such tempting things to play with. ;)

9. Transporteur macrumors 68030

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

That's the one I was thinking of, but couldn't recall who made it, let alone a model number. :eek: But it seems to be the best fit IMO.

Just put small items such as SD cards, CF cards, USB sticks,... in a small plastic container that the cat can't get into. Makes them easier to find anyway, as I have had issues where they've fallen off of the desk and been hidden under furniture (or even rolling over it with my chair... crunch... :eek:).

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The Mac Pro optical bay door is a slider, so I don't see how it can work; as with CF, well unless you use the high-end 50MB/s CF cards, I don't see the benefit in wasting a SATA port; if anything you can always get a FW800 card reader.

Also site hasn't been updated in 2 years :p

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

Nice catch. Oh well. There's plenty of other units available that can be lived with (silver is offered with some models).

And when not in use, it can be unplugged and tucked away in a drawer or whatnot (keeps the clutter down). I have a USB floppy I do that way (too much crap on the desk at any given time as is).

13. juanm thread starter macrumors 65816

juanm

Well, everything's changed now...

I got the Mac Pro about an hour ago. The lower front "handle" is completely smashed and the thing won't turn on for more than five seconds... I've contacted the seller to let him know that DHL screwed it...

Damn!

14. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Attached Files:

15. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

OUCH! :(