Mac Pro 3,1 SSD

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Kai.Def, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Kai.Def macrumors newbie

Kai.Def

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Torn between Intel 320, Owc SSD or possibly crucial m4.

I use my mac primarily for audio applications. Size; anything from 120gb upwards should be ok I guess. I aim to install the application data onto the SSD & the samples/other audio data on regular HD's.

Any recommendations / thoughts more than appreciated,

Thanks
    Kai

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

I'm going to say get the OWC. He's going to say "Get the Intel". They may say "Choice is obvious, get the Crucial".
    I like having built in garbage collection without TRIM so I went Sandforce. So far so good.

3. Kai.Def thread starter macrumors newbie

Kai.Def

thanks derbothaus you could have not paraphrased me better.

Anyone else'd like to add a sincere answer please

4. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I went with an OCZ Vertex 2 - same drive, different brand (maybe different firmware?). Performance has been stellar. At the time, it offered price/performance that could not be beat. Possibly still true, as the next generation of drives has driven prices down on the Vertex 2s.

5. Neodym macrumors 65816

Neodym

During the Postville G2 times (i.e. last year) Intel was the only manufacturer which did not suffer a massive performance drop after some SSD usage and disk getting fuller (according to various tests floating around, e.g. Anandtech iirc).

So Intel was slower, but kept performance, while others were faster in the beginning, but eventually dropped (partly way) below Intel. Sandforce controllers have been especially infamous in that department (and even more so on the Mac without TRIM).

Situation may have changed, but i'd try to do some research in that direction...

May also be helpful to find out if OWC is simply rebranding another manufacturer or if they have a genuine development done on their own.

6. Draeconis macrumors 6502a

I just bought an 80Gb Intel 320 for my MacBook Pro for live audio performance, composition, production, and some live VJing. It's pretty bloody fast, even though it's running through a 1.5Gbps SATA-I link. You can enable TRIM using that enabler that's floating about on these forums, and there are guides a la t'interweb for configuring OS X for SSDs.

7. Neodym macrumors 65816

Neodym

Have a link?

8. The-Pro macrumors 65816

9. Draeconis macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

http://poller.se/2010/08/optimizing-mac-os-x-for-ssd-drives/

10. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

OWC is rebranding Sandforce. I thought Anandtech did benching and found that the Sandforce garbage collection kept things under control? Either way, the wizards on this forum have enabled TRIM for non- branded drives, anyway.

11. Neodym macrumors 65816

Neodym

Thanks for that - interesting to read!

12. umbilical macrumors 6502a

BEST SSD for macpro 09, 3,1 in this days??? I need insert one and reemplace my old 500gb brick!

13. Einz macrumors regular

Einz

14. Neodym macrumors 65816

Neodym

The high numbers in transfer speed are only reached by running two SSD's on the same PCB as Raid-0 (which increases the risk for data loss). I also seem to vaguely remember some users reporting problems with those drives.

15. umbilical macrumors 6502a

the true is that I dont like OWC products I prefer go for big brand products like intel and others