Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Yurtal

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2009
96
4
Hello. I have just come in possession of two Macs and don't know which is best for my needs. I'll be selling the computer I don't keep and trying to get the most money in the end is desirable but it's vital that I pick the right one performance wise also.

The computers are:

1. Mac Pro 3,1 2008 - 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 16gb ram with a 500gb hybrid HDD + 1TB HDD + 500GB HDD.

2. iMac 27" 2011 - 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5 - 8 GB ram
- Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB + 1TB secondary HDD.

I will use this machine for audio production running pro tools 10 and Mac OS X mountain lion. I use a large amount of virtual instrument plugins and often 10-20 tracks in a session with VI plugins on every track.

The iMac will surly sell for more but will the 2008 Mac Pro cope with the workload? I basically want to know if it will be a huge mistake letting go of the iMac while I have the opportunity to keep it. Will the Mac Pro perform on par or better then the iMac?

I very much appreciate the help.
Cheers.
 

OS6-OSX

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
921
698
California
Since you already have both I suggest the following:
An Old Fashion Macintosh Shootout! In the end only one will remain standing! :oops:
Untitled.png
 

arkieboy72472

macrumors regular
May 4, 2017
110
25
That 2011 iMac will run High Sierra Natively and can be upgraded to a I7 3.4ghz processor (not an easy undertaking). It can hold up to 3 hard drives but most go with an SSD and a standard hard drive. The iMac can top out at 32GB of ram. Long Term, you would be better with a pimped out 5,1 and I would be hesitant to get rid of either for now. Maybe you could combine both in a sale and get closer to either a nice 5,1 or a maxed out Mac mini/imac pro. If anything, that 2011 makes for a great second tv and a decent light gaming rig. You can watch streaming media on it. It is easy to fix.

The 3,1 should be ok for now, but I would be looking at either a 5,1 with a nice display or a newer iMac. If you could tolerate windows, consider selling both for a Z840. I know it will handle that workload.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.