Mac Pro 3.1 with NVIDIA GT610

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MacCarlos, Nov 16, 2014.

1. MacCarlos macrumors newbie

Hi.
    First of all, my apologies if this tread could be in the wrong site, or if it could opened in another thread. (i was looking for that but I can't locate it… I promise it :eek:)

My case is that I have an Mac Pro early 2008 (3.1) and it was equipped with the original graphics card with 256 Mb , and now I have decided to change the card for a new one with better characteristics. I look for that ion internet and I found a couple. One EVGA Nvidia GTX 680 MAC edition and SAPPHIRE HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 MAC Edition. In both cases, too expensive and I can't find it in Spain.
    I visit an Apple reseller and they gave me this one. ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GT 610.
    The card works fine , but I lose the boot screen.
    I read that some cards could be flashed in order to inset the EFI rom inside, but I don´t now where to locate this rom for this card, or if is there any other way to see the boot screen when I power up. Or , if are there any other card that could be useful to me. Of course not much expensive. :)

Thanks for your help

:apple::apple::apple:

2. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

PC reference gtx 680 2 and 4gb cards can be flashed easily but in bootcamp only. The roms and the instructions are all on this forum, and PCIe power extension cables are cheaply bought on eBay too. Cost of a refurb pc card from eBay UK is about £160-170 (with a returns option) and the cables £4 each, the 680 needs 2. You could even install windows without activation or needing to buy a key if you want to install windows only to flash the card.

Post flashing it will make the card into a Mac edition 680 and the best bang per euro way to get decent GPU power cheaply.