Mac Pro - (3 or 4) Patriot Warp 32GB SSD's

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dsa420, Sep 19, 2009.

1. dsa420 macrumors 6502

The older Patriot SSD's, the Warp series have become relatively inexpensive (compared to other SSD's). Specifically the 32GB flavor can be purchased for around $85 a piece so I am considering purchasing 3 or 4 of them and striping them together using software RAID in my 2009 Mac Pro.

Storage capacity and drive failure risk aside, are there any other negative connotations with running my OS and applications off of this RAID array? Assuming I will be using the drive bays and one of the optical slots, will the speed cap out after a certain number of drives (2,3,4)?

My goal is to also put a traditional 1TB drive in one of the bays so that I am not just stuck with 128GB of space. Will the boot time, data accessability times, overall performance be driven down by the traditional HDD?

Crazy to think of paying $400 for 128GB of hard drive space, but I am very intrigued to see how fast this bad boy would run under that outlined set up.

2. matthewtoney macrumors regular

matthewtoney

I don't know what the theoretical read/write speeds of 4 of those in RAID0 would be, but you may want to search here on the forums on the discussion relating to the SATA controllers on the 2009 Pros and how it's more limited than it was on the 2008 models. (you may have already seen all that, just thought I'd mention in case you hadn't)

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well you'd need to get a RAID card for those 4 drives (as you won't have enough ports); I wouldn't know anything about cards since I'm a newb in that subject.