Mac Pro 4,1 for USD1075

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by t0rr3s, Aug 19, 2012.

1. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

I have a first gen mp which is still running great. I do a lot of photography, the odd mix of videos for corporate functions and some cadding on the sideline (trained as an architect).

In my part of the world, it's very rare to have used mac pros for sale. On the odd occasion one pops out, it's usually overpriced, with owners citing the dearth of such machines on the used market. I'm not having that though. So I hunt for newer mac pros because it would be completely mental to think that the 1,1 was not on its last legs.

For the past 3 months or so, the only machine available seemed to be a 2x.8 GHz 3,1, having been relisted by its owner on ebay for the umpteenth time at US1.6K. I have had on offer on the table for him for 1.2 although the duffer won't budge. Fair dos.

Last week though, I finally came across a 2x3.2GHz 3,1 for 1075 although it had only 4GB ram. I had a bit of a whinge about that but it was probably as good a deal as I can get. So there I was, on the verge of finalising the deal.

Specs:
    2 x 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    4Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
    ATI Radeon HD 2600
    Lion 10.7.4
    2 hard drives, 500G and 320G
    2 DVD burners

+ 1 wired and 1 bluetooth mouse.

Today though, I came across YET ANOTHER mp, a 4,1 this time:

2x2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    8GB RAM
    ATI HD4870 Graphics Card
    Apple SuperDrive
    1TB WD Caviar Black HDD
    Apple wireless (bluetooth) keyboard
    Apple Magic Mouse (bluetooth)

all in perfect condition and with original packaging.

I figured, knock my socks off, let's give it a bash, it's Sunday and good things happen on Sundays. Owner needed shifting and was selling at 1.2k. I offered 1075 and he accepted. Picking it up soon.

I'm so chuffed I could do the macarena on the streets, lads.
    :D

2. macmesser macrumors 6502a

Very good price I think. Single CPU model on eBay (US) runs about that price if you can find a good deal. I picked up almost the same model in excellent condition with 2 X 2.93 quad, 16GB ram and 500GB WDC for significantly more. Enjoy.