Mac Pro 4.1 need 7 outputs. GPU combo advice?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JoshuaBatty, Oct 28, 2013.

1. JoshuaBatty macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I have a Mac Pro 4.1 and need to drive 6 projectors for an installation and need a 7th for monitor support.

I was wondering what setups people would recommend? I've heard i can put 2 5770's in but they seem like really old cards now so looking for something with a bit more grunt than that.

Also it would be nice to not have to get an external power supply if possible.

Has anyone managed to successfully get 7 outputs running from a 4.1 model using anything other than 5770's? Would really appreciate some advice. thanks!

2. MacVidCards Suspended

need to know what sort of inputs you require.

Many projectors still use VGA.

Also, what other cards are present?

4 @ 2600XT will get you 8 displays, and NO power cables.

3. JoshuaBatty thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup all the projectors will need VGA inputs but happy to get adapters if necessary. Will 4 2600XT be powerful enough though? Im running custom software i wrote that uses openGL shaders so it needs to be fairly powerful....

----------

The mac pro has 1 NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 but i wasn't considering using it cause it doesn't look powerful enough.

Was considering using a GTX 680 and then splitting the display port into 3 using a Matrox triple head but i dont know if that would be better than getting 2 cards running from the PCI slots...

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

All of the slots are PCI slots, PCIe slots that is.

5. JoshuaBatty thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah but because the powerful cards take up the space of 2 slots, the 2nd card will have to be plugged into slot 3 which doesn't run as fast which im worried about.

Has anyone got 2 new GPU's in their Mac Pro 4.1 model running fine?