Mac Pro 4.1 or above PCI-e Bluetooth 4.0

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by lexR, Jun 22, 2014.

1. lexR, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014

lexR macrumors regular

lexR

I just wanted to start this thread to see if anyone involved with the development program of OS X Yosemite has come across/tried if a PCI-e bluetooth 4.0 LE card say from intel
    [​IMG]
    allows the 'handoff' continuity function to the mac pro 4.1/5.1.

I am aware that Yosemite is still in beta and there are lots of tweaks and adjustment before we see a finished product but just curious i guess.

will be quite annoyed if Apple do not allow some kind of user mod to give us this continuity function on lets face it less than 2 year old machines in some cases.

Would also be interested to hear from anyone that has a PCI-e wifi+Bluetooth 4.0 card installed in a MP and any compatibility issue.

2. MacVidCards Suspended

It can be done, sadly much easier in a 3,1 so far. That being said, the BT 4.0 in 3,1 is running at USB 1 speed.

I have to move some cards around but I'll make you a screen shot. The key is to use the board from a recent iMac.

We are trying to offer some options but my inability to type in Chinese is a problem.

I can pretty much guarantee that there will be options, either Apple cards or 3rd party with driver tweaks.

3. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

Why you need to type in Chinese?

If required, I can do the translation for you.

4. MacVidCards, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014

MacVidCards Suspended

2009 MP 4,1/5,1 works with BT 4.0

This required a USB plug routed back into PCIE slot. Will be working on more elegant solution, but good to know it can be done.

100% easier on a 3,1 since Apple seems to have gone off-spec on the Mini PCIE slot in 4,1 and 5,1.

I have some more ideas, but there will be options, it just may require a PCIE slot and a USB plug.

NVR: only need USB

Attached Files:

5. lexR thread starter macrumors regular

lexR

Great work there!! I've been researching this for weeks now and this is the first sign that a work round can be done 'if' apple do not allow a fix on release of Yosemite. Hopefully it's just a case of disconnect existing bluetooth and pluging in a USB Bluetooth dongle that's fully supported. I get the impression from reading up that the current set of USB dongles have wake up issues and not 100% fully supported? Thanks for you replies, really interesting #

6. The Highlander macrumors 6502

I would like an internal solution if at all possible.... i have mid 2012 mac pro.

7. MacVidCards Suspended

We have a super-elegant solution, completely internal.

Uses existing Mini-PCIE slot and BT jack.

As we promised, perfectly functional in GM.

Attached Files:

8. The Highlander macrumors 6502

where to buy and how much?

9. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

10. The Highlander macrumors 6502

Yes did that last night and actually bought the card. Wondering if it shipped.