Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GP-SE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2013
Hey guys, just got a Mac Pro 4,1
I added some RAM (3x4GB) for 12GB total, I have a few questions:

1) I added the RAM to the first 3 slots, leaving slot 4 empty, does this mean I'm running in triple channel?
2) The RAM I bought doesn't have thermal sensors, does this cause any issues? So far everything seems to be working fine, all fans are running at 600RPM except "Expansion Slots" which is at 800RPM according to istat.
The RAM temp is reported at 128 for the 3 slots and 129 for the 4th empty slot, although a few other sensors say 129 (CPU B) I have a single CPU system.

thanks for all the help!

mjsmke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2010
UK
Your RAM should be running in triple channel as all 3 modules are the same.

I dont think the absence of thermal sensors will cause an issue but someone else may be able to help you out more on this one.

Your fans sound normal. My exhaust, intake, and power supply are 600rpm and expansion slots are 800rpm, Booster (cpu) is 860

Regarding the temps im having a similar issue with my machine, Also i single cpu mac pro. iStat has my CPU B as 129 and PCI slots as 129. But my Ram is between 30 and 40 C.

Search for stat 4 on this forum and you will see other temp issues.

I think when stat can't find a temp it defaults to 129. But im still looking into this.

GP-SE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2013
Thanks for the reply, I did a SMC Reset and PRAM reset and nothing changed, so I'm assuming everything is fine. I also think 129 is the default if it gets no reading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.