Mac Pro 5.1 (2010) GTX960 HDMI and 4K question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Danzagoonie, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Danzagoonie macrumors newbie

Danzagoonie

Hi all,
    I've tried to find information about my question, but am unable to, so I'm hoping someone can help.

I have an Asus 960GTX connected to my 2010 mac pro. I wanted to find out how I can enable if possible Audio output via the HDMI connection. I did read a post on it, but not sure if it will work with my mac pro and GPU.
    Also, if I was to connect it to a 4K TV, is there anyway to allow to run at 60hz? The TV is a current model Samsung 4K TV. I have a HDMI cable that is designed for HDMI 2.0.
    Any help would be great.
    Thanks

2. prvt.donut macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

I have been in the same boat and finally have an answer and solution for you now that I have glorious 60Hz 4K over to my TV that only uses HDMI 2.0 (no DisplayPort)

Step 1: buy this adapter. http://target.georiot.com/Proxy.ash...S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The seller of the adapter then provides step by step instructions of how to make sure your Mac works at 60hz.

Apple MacBook Pro and Mac Pro – For now Apple El Capitan doesn't support 4K at 60Hz out of the box. To be able to enjoy 4K at 60Hz on OSX you need to install SwitchResX to force the 60Hz by creating custom resolution. You can download SwitchResX form madrau.com

1. First I downloaded (and purchased) SwitchResX, but you can download a trial that works for 10 days.

2. In El Capitan there is a new security feature called SIP "System Integrity Protection". Unfortunately this prevents SwitchResX from modifying the system files that contain resolution information. But you can temporarily disable "System Integrity Protection" to make changes. Once the resolution has been created and activated, you can turn SIP on again.

3. Disabling SIP requires booting into the recovery partition. You boot in recovery mode by pressing CMD + R when starting up your Mac.

4. Then open a Terminal window. Utilities->Terminal and type the command below: csrutil disable

5. To re-enable SIP once the changes have been made; boot back into the recovery partition and set state to enabled: csrutil enable

6. Now boot to El Capitan and open SwitchResX. Select the TV from the pane on the left. Then select "Custom Resolution". I entered 3840 x 2160 and made sure that the Scan Rate for Vertical was set to 60 hz. Scaling is also possible.

7. Save the changes (by hitting apply, and rebooting your mac.. it will ask you to save). After the reboot you will see the custom resolution added within SwitchResX under "Current Resolutions" for your TV.