Mac Pro 5,1 - AHCI and NVME use along

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by pandroid, Mar 28, 2017.

1. pandroid macrumors newbie

Hi there

Could anyone confirm that it's possible to use on dual pcie adapter with both AHCI and NVME m.2 pcie drive at once?
    I have Delock PCI-E na 2x M.2 NGFF and run single Samsung XP941 AHCI 512GB boot drive but I wonder if could add another one PM961 NVME 1TB for storage. I know there have been some drivers out there for NVME but I don't know if it wouldn't screw up my boot drive. Could anyone has any experience here?

I'm on Yosemite 10.10.5.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards

2. Draeconis macrumors 6502a

There is an old NVMe driver floating about, but last time I checked loads of people were saying it didn't work anymore.

3. JedNZ macrumors regular

JedNZ

I don't know the answer to whether you can run both an AHCI and a NVMe PCI-e cards at the same time.

If it doesn't work, you could try using the Github NVMe driver, which is designed for 10.11.6 through to 10.12.3 (I'm hoping they'll update it to work with 10.12.4 - unless someone confirms the 10.12.3 version works with 10.12.4).

In that light, you may have to give it a go, much like my predicament where I may have to upgrade to 10.12.4 to see if the Github NVMe kext works. Someone has to be a guinea pig.

4. pandroid thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks mate. But it seems too risky for me since I can't upgrade to ElCapitan atm.

5. eminorb5 macrumors newbie

eminorb5

I can confirm that both working perfectly together at pci-e x4 (#3 #4), I am using SM951 (512GB) AHCI in slot #3 for boot drive and SM950 (512GB) in slot #4 as data drive. the speed is almost the same at maximum 1,4xx MB/s for both read/write.

PCI-e to M.2 adapter is only the cheap one got from China.
    NVMe driver from MACVIDCARDS

good luck.

Attached Files:

6. pandroid thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, thanks for a replay. Do you have a chance to check them both on a dual adapter on a single pci-e line? I have all 3 other lines filled and can't separate. I just don't want to buy if it won't work because I'll just waste my money.

Thanks in advance.

7. eminorb5 macrumors newbie

eminorb5

never try it, I only have SM950 and SM951 which both are M key interface. My dual adapter support M key mixing with B key only (which different in pin layout), if you have M.2 with B key interface can use in dual adapter, but the speed may be vary because of share the same lane.

see for more..
    https://www.naplestech.com/compare-msata--m.2-sata--sata-express.html