Price Advice Mac Pro 5,1 Appraisal

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rawweb, Mar 10, 2016.

1. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

I'm looking for help pricing my cMP 5,1. I've been considering selling it and downgrading a bit to get a 27" Retina iMac, I just don't use the horsepower of my 5,1 much these days and am attracted to the clean all in one nature of the iMac. I'm not looking to make any deals, just curious on the perceived value of my machine.

12 Core - 3.33GHz Xeon Processor
    64GB ECC DDR3 1333
    GTX 770 4GB (Mac flashed | display port, hdmi, 2x dual DVI)
    Wifi AC & Bluetooth 4LE upgrade (native handoff and continuity support)
    2x240GB PCI-SSD Raid 0 (480GB boot volume)
    Sonnet USB 3.0 PCIe (4 ports)
    Blu Ray super drive upgrade
    27" Apple Cinema Display

I've done a lot of upgrades to the machine, and understand that won't help me much. However, if the value is nowhere near a retina iMac I guess I'll just stay put.

2. rodedwards macrumors member

Personally i'd keep the Mac Pro as you'll downgrade to iMac. You have a high spec 5.1 and they are clean and tidy and great machines. Wait until it dies and then get the current iMac. These are built so well it'll probably be a few years and u can keep upgrading the spec.

Try downloading Geekbench App to test your system against the iMac. The Mac Pro single core will be slower but the multicore will be trwice as fast.

3. rawweb thread starter macrumors 6502a

rawweb

There's no doubt that my Mac Pro will do circles around an iMac, in most instances. I find myself not needing the power of a 12-core machine much anymore (none of the video apps I use for Adobe appear to fully utilize 12/24 virtual cores, and very few apps appear to really work with multi-core effectively). I know this beast is only getting older and the value will only continue to slide.

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Some of the upgrades won't get much increase in selling price but you have a very powerful machine. eBay sales for that model run from $1500 to 2200. OWC wants about $3k for one. I wouldn't sell it for less than $2k and try to get at least $2,500 for it.

5. rawweb thread starter macrumors 6502a

rawweb

What do you think a 27" Cinema display is worth these days? $500?

6. phillyboy82 macrumors regular

phillyboy82

Six-core 3.33 GHz processors run about $300/piece on their own now without being installed and the dual processor Mac Pro has a premium markup to it. I'd try for $2k or so with all the extras you have (flashed video card, OWC SSDs, etc.)

7. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Most of the 27" Thunderbolt displays I've seen on Craigslist have been asking about $600-650. The Cinema should be in the same ballpark, maybe a few dollars less. I'd give you $500 if you were local to me.