Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pwdiesel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Northern Virginia
Hi all

Back about a year ago my built in Bluetooth stopped working. Does not show up any longer.
I tried replacing module on motherboard with another, still nothing.
So, my question after reading some threads, could a system update have made it unusable?
Never wanted to take it to have repaired or diagnosed because I had assumed that somehow motherboard repair or replacement would have been needed.

Which leads me too this

To upgrade to new combo card would require using the plug where current Bluetooth module is plugged in.
Which would possibly never work because of my problem, if hardware related. ????
thanks in advance for any help or ideas.

screen-shot-2017-03-15-at-11-16-38-am-png.692364

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
If you have a spare drive, install a clean version of OS X on it. Then boot up from there and see if the BT works. That would determine whether or not it is a software/settings issue.

Or if you have a Windows bootcamp partition, you could just see if BT is working in Windows.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Applestore provide free checking service. You only have to pay if some hardware failed and you agree to replace the parts. The 5,1's BT card is not a part of the logic board. Even if it failed and ask them to fix it, they can just replace the BT card.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
The BT Card is built into the wireless card, isn't it? Is your WiFi fine?

It has been ages since I owned a MacPro so I don't know if this applies at all to you, but in my 2012 Unibody MBP, the flat ribbon cabling that connected the wireless card to the logic board had a reputation for failing and many a MBP owner had replaced the card only to find out that it was just the cable. That happened to me.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
The BT Card is built into the wireless card, isn't it? Is your WiFi fine?

It has been ages since I owned a MacPro so I don't know if this applies at all to you, but in my 2012 Unibody MBP, the flat ribbon cabling that connected the wireless card to the logic board had a reputation for failing and many a MBP owner had replaced the card only to find out that it was just the cable. That happened to me.

No, on the 5,1, it's separated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.