Mac Pro (5,1) connecting third Apple Cinema Display - Any advice greatly appreciated

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by macperegrine, Oct 18, 2013.

1. macperegrine macrumors newbie

Hello. I would very much appreciate some advice, and I was hoping that someone might be able to point me in the right direction. I have tried researching a solution, but unfortunately this has left me more confused than when I started.

My Question:

How do I connect an Apple Cinema Display to the DVI port on my Mac Pro?

Description/Background:

I have a Mac Pro 5,1 (mid 2010) with an ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics card with 1024 MB VRAM. I currently have 2 Apple Cinema Displays (ACD) connected via the 2 Mini DisplayPorts. This leaves me with a DVI port, to which I want to connect a third ACD.

I purchased a third ACD today from Apple, and they sold me a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter with it. They told me that if I bought a DVI (male) to DVI (male) single link cable (do I need dual link DVI?), that I would be able to connect the ACD to my Mac Pro's DVI port using the above cable and adapter. However the Mini DisplayPort from the ACD is male, as is the Mini DisplayPort on the adapter, so I'm stuck with two male Mini DisplayPorts which I can't connect with eachother.

I telephoned Apple, and I think they were trying their hardest to find a solution, but ultimately they advised me that I had to source some sort of third party solution. The Apple chap told me that he thought this might be of use (but I am unfortunately not quite able to work out whether that is what I need or not). I had also been looking today at possibly buying a coupler to connect the two male Mini DisplayPorts, like this one, but am unsure if this will support 2560x1440 resolution of the ACD, or in fact whether it will work at all (the three amazon reviews all said it did not work).

Apologies if this is basic to you, but I am pretty lost, so would really appreciate it if anyone has any ideas as to how I can connect my third ACD to my Mac Pro.

Many thanks,
    Peregrine

P.S. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know if I have not provided enough info about my set-up, and I will promptly post what is needed.

2. motorboating macrumors newbie

motorboating