Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DSevenPL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2015
Hey. I have a stuttering while gaming no Mather of Game Settings. Fraps showing a solid 60FPS but I noticed a lags.

I'm running via Bootcamp Windows 8.1 all drivers are up to date. Graphic card is a GeForce GTX680 Mac Edition.

When I switch this GPU to normal PC I'm getting no stutter on the same game and settings ...

MacPro 5.1
2x Intel Xeon 6 Cores 3.46Ghz
EVGA GTX680 MacEdition
32 GB Ram 1333Mhz
2x SSDs on 2x Apricorn Velocity Solo's
Bootcamp on SSD in Drive Bay 1

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Hey. I have a stuttering while gaming no Mather of Game Settings. Fraps showing a solid 60FPS but I noticed a lags.

I'm running via Bootcamp Windows 8.1 all drivers are up to date. Graphic card is a GeForce GTX680 Mac Edition.

When I switch this GPU to normal PC I'm getting no stutter on the same game and settings ...

MacPro 5.1
2x Intel Xeon 6 Cores 3.46Ghz
EVGA GTX680 MacEdition
32 GB Ram 1333Mhz
2x SSDs on 2x Apricorn Velocity Solo's
Bootcamp on SSD in Drive Bay 1
EVGA Nvidia driver or Windows driver forGTX 680?

JronMasteR

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
Switzerland
I have noticed similar things in certain games. With the 680 which I had before and also with the 780 I have now.
I was mostly suffering from frame drops, stuttering and hitching.
After trying all kinds of things, I discovered that if I disable 1 Cpu via msconfig the issue was gone. It seems that if the game uses cores from both cpu's, there is a latency issue. You could also use task assign to make sure that a game only uses one of the cpu's.

Last edited:

JronMasteR

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
Switzerland
Thats VERY interesting, thanks for posting it. I never even thought of a problem like that cropping up.

You're welcome. I hope it will help some other people with dual Cpu systems.
I was surprised as well, but also very relieved at that time.
First I thought it was because of the hyperthreading, since that is known to cause issues in some games. Sadly, you cannot turn off HT in Windows on a mac.

I'm always using task assign now for every game. It is also better if you let games use only CPU B since that one runs cooler because its right at the intake.
I've noticed some other nice things. Far Cry 4 was always bottlenecked by one maxed out cpu core. But when I set it to use only 4 or 6 cores, the load is spread very evenly across the cores and I get higher fps.

Surrat

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2014
United States
You're welcome. I hope it will help some other people with dual Cpu systems.
I was surprised as well, but also very relieved at that time.
First I thought it was because of the hyperthreading, since that is known to cause issues in some games. Sadly, you cannot turn off HT in Windows on a mac.

I'm always using task assign now for every game. It is also better if you let games use only CPU B since that one runs cooler because its right at the intake.
I've noticed some other nice things. Far Cry 4 was always bottlenecked by one maxed out cpu core. But when I set it to use only 4 or 6 cores, the load is spread very evenly across the cores and I get higher fps.

How do I tell what core is what on the processor affinity list? Are the real cores listed first, then the virtual ones? or maybe alternating?

I also noticed that cpu 1 is always running hotter than 2, then in cpu-z in win81, I noticed that my cpu 1 is always on turbo mode, running at 3.33ghz. The second cpu is holding 3.06ghz, so that explains the higher temp. Seems strange to me though, I thought turbo only activated under high load.

JronMasteR

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
Switzerland
How do I tell what core is what on the processor affinity list? Are the real cores listed first, then the virtual ones? or maybe alternating?

I also noticed that cpu 1 is always running hotter than 2, then in cpu-z in win81, I noticed that my cpu 1 is always on turbo mode, running at 3.33ghz. The second cpu is holding 3.06ghz, so that explains the higher temp. Seems strange to me though, I thought turbo only activated under high load.

Can't really tell you which one is which. I think it's not one physical and one logical. The physical core just appears as 2 logical ones.

Well, turbo will depend on how many cores are under load. If only one is under load, it will turbo to the max, if all are under load, it will stay at base or close to base clocks

Edit: So I did some testing with geekbench 3 in W8. With CPU0 sore was 2300, with CPU0 and CPU1 ist was 2900. Multicore scores by the way.
Seems that if a game is limited by a single core, it can help to assign CPU0, CPU2, CPU4 etc.
By doing that you improve performance in games that don't like HT.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.