Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Curtisrb

Suspended
Original poster
May 9, 2020
Hello all...
I have an issue with my Windows 7 x64 install.
I have a 5,1 running OS 10.13.6, Bootcamp 6.1.0. I have Windows 7 (32x64) on install DVD, I used the x32 version on my older Mac 1,1 Bootcamp installed that version great so I was expecting the same results now that I have a 5,1.... not!
In my 5,1 I wanted to install Window 7 x64 on a "Separate" dedicated drive, however bootcamp wants me to install it on my existing Mac Drive as a Partition = NO, Don't want windows and Mac OS sharing the same drive. So I set out to install without Bootcamp.
I have my USB with the appropriate drivers installed and I have my Mac drive set to MBR and NTFS.
Just so you know, I tried multiple formats to load x64 onto this drive, it seems Windows on my machine doesn't like GUID, or GPT or MS-Dos Fat nor exFat... trust me I tried them all... unless I missed a specific order my Mac would only accept MBR - NTFS.

I did the install manually, it loaded, .. after the installation the initial restart into the windows drive I was met with an error of
"Disc Read Error Occurred"
This is were I am stuck at right now. it seems I can not boot into the windows installation. I have been trying to read into how to fix this issue however all material so far is suggesting I re order the BIOS, which I think is wrong seeing how my motherboard should have nothing to do with booting into this drive... but what do I know.

I have been at this for 3 days now so any ideas you all have would be awesome...
Thanks in advance,
RB

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
You will have safer, more reliable results if you install Win 7 64 to it's own spare hdd/ssd.

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
When you attempted the native install of Win 7 64 bit from your ODD , is the target a SATA drive ?

If so , did you reformat the drive using the Windows installer ?

When you perform this operation , I would remove all other drives in your System to prevent any tragic mistakes .

Curtisrb

Suspended
Original poster
May 9, 2020
When you attempted the native install of Win 7 64 bit from your ODD , is the target a SATA drive ?

If so , did you reformat the drive using the Windows installer ?

When you perform this operation , I would remove all other drives in your System to prevent any tragic mistakes .
The disk was already formated, the dvd installer didn't even list that as an option it was just ready to install.
I formatted the disk prior to loading
Yes I did, the Windows 7 files are all loaded on the correct drive, the dvd finished it's installation. it just gave be the faile to read error when I tried to boot into the drive.
I can even see the windows drive available from the "Startup Disk" menu inside the Mac system preference window...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.