Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Emilio Matos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2024
Greetings,

I have an Mac Pro 5.1 EMC 2314 (should be mid 2010 I think), which has 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 8 gigs DDR3 RAM 1066 MHz, came with AMD Radeon HD 5770 when I got it. This Mac is working OK, but I think it has a power supply issue, since I can't turn it on instantly. I have to tap 1 time the on/off button, then leave it pressed, and when a relay sounds inside PSU, I stop pressing it and tap 1 more time rapidly and turns on and it is usable. But PSU issue is not the cause I'm inputting this thread, purchased one at eBay, hoping that this is the problem I have with start up is solved after replacement.

The reason is because I installed an NVIDIA GTX 660 (Gigabyte OC 2048MB Version), which it's working at High Sierra using ROM MP51.0089.B00 while posting this thread. It says that is Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v3, but anytime I turn off the Mac, I have to reset NVRAM to get video output.

I would like to update the BootROM to 144.0.0.0 to get the Mojave, but can't do it with the ATI card.

Is there any workaround for fixing this using High Sierra? The video card only would work doing this, every time I shut off the computer? Does the GTX 660 can work in Mojave, without this issue that I have on High Sierra?

Installed the Web Drivers from NVIDIA, and put the mode for starting it up with loaded drivers, but anyways, the video card doesn't get output and then I have to reset NVRAM.

Any recommendation would be appreciated.
Please tell me if you don't understand something on the text, English is not my native language.

Best regards,

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Greetings,

I have an Mac Pro 5.1 EMC 2314 (should be mid 2010 I think), which has 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 8 gigs DDR3 RAM 1066 MHz, came with AMD Radeon HD 5770 when I got it. This Mac is working OK, but I think it has a power supply issue, since I can't turn it on instantly. I have to tap 1 time the on/off button, then leave it pressed, and when a relay sounds inside PSU, I stop pressing it and tap 1 more time rapidly and turns on and it is usable. But PSU issue is not the cause I'm inputting this thread, purchased one at eBay, hoping that this is the problem I have with start up is solved after replacement.

The reason is because I installed an NVIDIA GTX 660 (Gigabyte OC 2048MB Version), which it's working at High Sierra using ROM MP51.0089.B00 while posting this thread. It says that is Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v3, but anytime I turn off the Mac, I have to reset NVRAM to get video output.

I would like to update the BootROM to 144.0.0.0 to get the Mojave, but can't do it with the ATI card.

Is there any workaround for fixing this using High Sierra? The video card only would work doing this, every time I shut off the computer? Does the GTX 660 can work in Mojave, without this issue that I have on High Sierra?

Installed the Web Drivers from NVIDIA, and put the mode for starting it up with loaded drivers, but anyways, the video card doesn't get output and then I have to reset NVRAM.

Any recommendation would be appreciated.
Please tell me if you don't understand something on the text, English is not my native language.

Best regards,

Did you tested if the same problem also happens with other GPUs? Did you checked the RTC battery voltage? If the BR2032 is below 2,9V, the Mac Pro starts to behave crazily.

I bet that you have more than one issue, like a corrupt BootROM and spent RTC battery. Time to check eveyrthing.

Emilio Matos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2024
Did you tested if the same problem also happens with other GPUs? Did you checked the RTC battery voltage? If the BR2032 is below 2,9V, the Mac Pro starts to behave crazily.

I bet that you have more than one issue, like a corrupt BootROM and spent RTC battery. Time to check eveyrthing.
Hello Alex,

The only GPUs I have tested on Mac Pro is the ATI and this Nvidia. No issues on boot screen with ATI and using High Sierra.

Somehow managed to update the BootROM now using the Mojave Installer with the NVIDIA, had to try few times (must be due the PSU issue).

At this moment, I’m installing High Sierra on a HDD, to proceed to install the Mojave on a SSD. Unluckily, dont have a spare SSD to install the new Mac OS again. Actually read a thread that this is recommended to do when installing this kind of Nvidia family I think.

Will check the coin battery ASAP when OS on new drive finishes installation. Might be the cause.

For a little background, they guy from I purchased the machine was all dusty, but never opened, teardown the machine for a good cleaning hehe. So, it might have battery dead.

Thanks for the advice.

Best regards

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Trying a bootrom upgrade with a faulty PSU is … brave. You took a great risk bricking it if the power was cut during writing the spi chip.

Emilio Matos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2024
Hello there guys,

I received the PSU and installed it on the Mac and did replace the coin battery (3,3 V), it worked like a charm... For 30 minutes, then shut off.

It started to behave weird after that, the shut downs got delayed during several startups use, then, shut it down for the next day. Got new thermal paste for the processor and the Intel chip next to it for better cooling. The Intel chip thermal paste, was sort of dried off, the Xeon was kinda OK.

Next day, started up OK, used it all day, even managed to install OpenCore and Windows 11, played a bit of GTA IV, all OK. Even ordered a pair of X5690's during the good momentum for future upgrade (in my ignorance). Thought that maybe was due the PSU being stored for a long time in shelf and needed to get warmed up LMAO.

After that, next day, started to behave exactly as I left it with old PSU, right now doesn't turn on.

@Macschrauber don't want to think that the YOLO performance did lastly affect the backplane :(, but I thought worth it briefly.

Is there anymore testing that I could do?
The Diagnostic LEDs shows 5V standby (amber) right now.

Best regards,

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Test your CPU tray with a working Mac Pro, test your Mac Pro with a known working CPU tray. You now need to do the elimination game, each part needs to be tested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.