Mac Pro 5,1 Power Supply Noise

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by skiffx, Jun 27, 2013.

1. skiffx macrumors 6502a

This is driving me insane, my PSU in 2010 5,1 Mac Pro starting to making chirping noise, kind of like when HDD is spinning, however, even when I completely turn off computer, the noise still persists until I disconnect the power plug from the back.

Just curious if any1 has experienced something like this and is this a sign of a failure to come?

2. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I don't know what your problem is, but I would not take any chances with a "noisy" power supply.

I'd take it to a shop immediately.

Maybe I'm over reacting...

3. Nalp2010 macrumors member

Not so long ago my Mac Pro(2008) had a noisy power supply like you, I also found that two sticks of RAM no longer worked around the same time(can't say for certain the two are connected). I ended up downloading the service manual and replacing the PSU with a refurbished one - simple job anyone could do. Sooner you replace it the better IMHO.

4. skiffx thread starter macrumors 6502a

The thing is why is it making same noise when machine is off or on?
    (edit: I unplugged all hdds to make sure its not any of them not that they would make noise when machine is off).

----------

How expensive was the replacement PSU and where did you get one?

5. Nalp2010 macrumors member

For me in the UK about $140, I just searched using Google and eBay for a supplier. It is not uncommon for PSU sellers to drop the price if you part exchange your old faulty PSU.

6. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

Your 2010 MP will still be under AppleCare if you took it out. If the problem is easy to demonstrate, book it into an authorised repair centre.