Mac Pro 5,1 Power switch replacement ideas?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by slughead, Oct 26, 2014.

1. slughead, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014

slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

I am going to modify my MP 5,1 case for various reasons. I need to basically externalize the power switch.

Apparently the switch just plugs into the front panel circuit.

[​IMG]

Does anyone know where I can either get a replacement power switch or just get the little plug there so I can throw in a momentary switch?

Based on the pictures I think it's about 3.7mm (4?)

thanks!

2. DPUser macrumors 6502a

My thought: cut wires extending from existing plug, solder appropriate gauge extension wires on as needed, and attach to your favorite replacement switch.

3. that salad macrumors newbie

The connector itself is probably a molex part, you'll just have to dig around online to find the number and then source a replacement. Taobao or eBay are a good start but I found its actually harder (though possible) to find the wires pre-pinned on their own than the connector itself. Maybe if you can find a cheap premade part that includes the correct wires and connector it might be easier although more costly...

This is the only permitted replacement switch by the way:

Attached Files:

4. slughead thread starter macrumors 68040

slughead

Nice replacement :)

Yes I think I may have found a replacement plug for it but it'd suck to disassemble the whole thing only to find out I'm wrong. I may just buy a replacement switch. Someone's already posted the pinout on another forum.