Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ilegal31

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2014
Hello,

I have a Mac Pro 5,1 A1289 with 6 Intel Xeon Westmere W3680 at 3.33Ghz. I am planning to make some upgrades to the machine the first one is to upgrade to 12 cores, how do I proceed, do I have to buy another Intel Xeon Westmere W3680 exactly like the one already installed?, or which is the way to go.

Thanks in advance for the help.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
No, you need a new processor board, and the new heat sinks etc. which may be more expensive than get a used dual CPU Mac Pro.

Also, obviously, you didn't do any research yet. The W3680 is for single CPU model only. For dual CPU setup, you need the X56xx CPUs.

Reactions: crjackson2134

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Hello,

I have a Mac Pro 5,1 A1289 with 6 Intel Xeon Westmere W3680 at 3.33Ghz. I am planning to make some upgrades to the machine the first one is to upgrade to 12 cores, how do I proceed, do I have to buy another Intel Xeon Westmere W3680 exactly like the one already installed?, or which is the way to go.

Look at the threads dealing with X5690 and that will prepare you. You can sell your 3690 of course, and 5680 3.33 can also cut cost with very little difference in 3..4GHz 5690.

Reactions: ilegal31

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Hello,

No, you need a new processor board, and the new heat sinks etc. which may be more expensive than get a used dual CPU Mac Pro.

Also, obviously, you didn't do any research yet. The W3680 is for single CPU model only. For dual CPU setup, you need the X56xx CPUs.

This is the correct answer. I don't ever recall a post made by you where you have ever done any research.

Lou

ilegal31

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2014
No I haven't done a research about the w3680, I had purchased the computer from a friend that was the first owner and he didn't use it as often as he thought. I had paid $1100, looking on eBay older 12 core models are more expensive, probably I can trade the original cup tray, this machine with it's 6 core works just fine with video, 3D and designs apps I just wanted to add some extra power.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
No I haven't done a research about the w3680, I had purchased the computer from a friend that was the first owner and he didn't use it as often as he thought. I had paid $1100, looking on eBay older 12 core models are more expensive, probably I can trade the original cup tray, this machine with it's 6 core works just fine with video, 3D and designs apps I just wanted to add some extra power.

Most applications won't be any faster at all when moving from a 6 to 12 core at the same clock speed. But some (very few) applications will, so ultimately it depends on which exact applications you are hoping to speed up.

Reactions: ilegal31

OB-NZ

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2015
New Zealand
This is the correct answer. I don't ever recall a post made by you where you have ever done any research.

Lou
Hi, i have been following these sorts of discussions for quite a few months now and was after some advice from Lou.
Are you still running your X5677 chips? I am looking to upgrade and was considering staying with eight cores at a higher clock, I have the chance to grab two W5590's for under $100 but to be honest was a little worried regarding the heat and the 130w TDP.
If something was to go wrong my Mac would be out of action until I could save enough to repair it, that could take quite a few months, or even longer.
I thought that maybe to play it safe the X5672 Xeons might be an option, but cant for the life of me find any evidence that they are even bootable.
Some advice from you with your hands on experience with higher clocked quads would be excellent.

Ollie

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I have run both the W5590 and X5677. I put the W5590s in my machine back in August 2013 and ran them, without incident until I replaced them with my current X5677s exactly a year later. So I've been running 130w TDP CPUs for two years now. as stated in a post I made a year ago:

I actually first upgraded to the W5590s in my 5,1 Mac Pro, then, about a year later, upgraded again to X5677s. With the X5677s the temps are a little bit lower and I can run the fans slower. The X5677 is also faster, and with the slower fan speeds the Mac is quieter. I highly recommend the X5677s

I'm still happy with my decision. My machine is fast and quiet. As I type this CPU A is running @ 110º F and CPU B @ 100º F. That's much cooler than the CPUs in my MBA run, haha. As far as the X5672s go, I checked the Geekbench site and it seems that it's been done in a 5,1 Mac Pro:

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/search?q=X5672

Lou

OB-NZ

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2015
New Zealand
I have run both the W5590 and X5677. I put the W5590s in my machine back in August 2013 and ran them, without incident until I replaced them with my current X5677s exactly a year later. So I've been running 130w TDP CPUs for two years now. as stated in a post I made a year ago:

I'm still happy with my decision. My machine is fast and quiet. As I type this CPU A is running @ 110º F and CPU B @ 100º F. That's much cooler than the CPUs in my MBA run, haha. As far as the X5672s go, I checked the Geekbench site and it seems that it's been done in a 5,1 Mac Pro:

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/search?q=X5672

Lou
Hey Lou, took your advice and went with the X5677 processors. Just waiting on 3mm pad and PK3 Thermal Compound, should be here before the weekend. Would be nice to be able to say that Im really excited, I guess thats the feeling that the 2010 - 12 owners get to have *~*
Thanks again for sharing your experences with the above.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^My X5677s are still going strong and I'm still happy with my choice. Good Luck on your Upgrade!

Lou

OB-NZ

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2015
New Zealand
^^^^My X5677s are still going strong and I'm still happy with my choice. Good Luck on your Upgrade!

Lou
Thanks, will count my turns, if you know what I mean.
Have done a ton of reading up, even to the point of spending each night for about a week researching thermal compounds to find out what kind is likely to be more stable in the long term and has good temps if the contact pressure is only light or medium. Thinking that while the heatsinks are off it might be worth repasting the Northbridge chip, but a little worried that I might damage one of the little retaining clips if they are brittle.
The PK3 paste came today so just waiting on the thermal pad, will keep you updated...

Ollie

Last edited:

OB-NZ

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2015
New Zealand

Lou
Got them in, all went to plan. Took me around two hours being super careful. Do these shots below of temps etc look ok? Northbridge goes up to around 72c if BoostA is left at stock speed, didn't repaste the NB, worried that I could have broken one of the retaining clips.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 181

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Got them in, all went to plan. Took me around two hours being super careful. Do these shots below of temps etc look ok? Northbridge goes up to around 72c if BoostA is left at stock speed, didn't repaste the NB, worried that I could have broken one of the retaining clips.

Glad things went OK:D Temps look fine to me. Notice your running Geekbench @ 32 bit. See my chart running @ 64 bit.

Lou
Temps  copy.jpg
X5677 Geekbench.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.