Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Conradish006

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2019
Catawampus Land
Greetings, forum-goers! Today I present an issue that is very irksome and continues to get worse.

My 2009 Mac Pro 5,1 is randomly freezing for upwards of 10 minutes at a time. There have been a few times when it was so bad that I had to hold the power button to shut it down and restart it. A few days ago, I turned the monitor on to find a crash report saying that a restart was forced. I saved the crash report to a paste site and will attach it to this post.

If anybody can possibly help me sort this out, I would greatly appreciate it!

Crash Report: Crash error Mac Pro 5,1

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Code:
12 TIMED-OUT WAITING FOR NMI-ACK

NMI errors 99% of the time are caused by the CPU tray. First thing to check are the northbridge heatsink push-pins.

Conradish006

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2019
Catawampus Land
I pulled the northbridge and repasted it, I need to buy new bolts. What size are they? Plus one of the springs is missing, any particular size I have to buy?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2023

avro707

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2010
I just started experiencing a similar problem with a 2012 Mac Pro 5,1 but have not gotten any crash reports. Is there any diagnostic that will check for this issue?

If you are getting these NMI errors, have a look at the Northbridge heatsink to make sure it is secured properly, watch the temps on it (if the computer will stay on for long enough), if it needs thermal paste then do that again.

In my case on the Dual CPU Mac Pro it was none of those issues, it was actually CPU A had failed. After I replaced it with another X5690 it worked perfectly again.

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2023
If you are getting these NMI errors, have a look at the Northbridge heatsink to make sure it is secured properly, watch the temps on it, if it needs thermal paste then do that again.

In my case on the Dual CPU Mac Pro it was none of those issues, it was actually CPU A had failed. After I replaced it with another X5690 it worked perfectly again.

Good to know. Where do I look for NMI errors?

avro707

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2010
Good to know. Where do I look for NMI errors?

Here is an example:

From when my machine was doing this NMI problem.

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2023
Here is an example:

From when my machine was doing this NMI problem.
Thanks. Its just hanging at this point, 2-10 seconds at a time. Its a 5 year old high sierra install so I haven't ruled that out, but I want to stay on top of potential issues given the age of the machine.

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2023
Would be great if there was a single document covering all potential issues to be aware of as they get older.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.